BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Tompkins family come from? What is the English Tompkins family crest and coat of arms? When did the Tompkins family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Tompkins family history?The distinguished surname Tompkins is of English origin. It is derived from the first name "Tom," the popular diminutive of the name "Thomas," and, when combined with the Medieval suffix of endearment "kin," means "son of dear little Tom."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Tompkins, Tomkins, Tomkyns, Thomkins, Thompkins and others.
First found in Herefordshire, where they held a family seat from ancient times and were Lords of the manor of Monington.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tompkins research. Another 131 words(9 lines of text) covering the years 1661, 1572, 1656, 1569, 1636, 1624, 1629, 1605, 1674, 1640 and 1674 are included under the topic Early Tompkins History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 113 words(8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Tompkins Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Tompkins family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 91 words(6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tompkins Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas and William, and Ralph, Samuel, Mary, and Katherine Tompkins, who settled in Boston in 1635
- John Tompkins, who settled in Virginia in 1636
- Thomas Tompkins, who landed in Virginia in 1637
- Ralph Tompkins, who arrived in Dorchester, Massachusetts in 1638
- John Tompkins, who landed in Virginia in 1638
Tompkins Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Mary Tompkins, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1720
Tompkins Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Ezra C Tompkins, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1875
- Fred Tompkins (b. 1943), American jazz flautist and composer
- Barry Tompkins (b. 1940), American sportscaster
- Daniel D Tompkins (1774-1825), American politician, 6th Vice President of the United States
- Stephen Tompkins (b. 1971), American artist, animator, and composer
- Granville Richard Francis Tompkins (1918-1992), British print, advertising, and retail entrepreneur, best known for founding the Green Shield Stamps company
- Brian Tompkins, Yale Varsity Soccer coach
- Sue Tompkins (b. 1971), British visual and sound artist
- The 7th U.S. Cavalry's Own Colonel Tommy Tompkins: A Military Heritage and Tradition by John M. Carrol.
- Travels in Search of an Ancestor: with Genealogies of the Tompkins, Kingsley, Kirkland (et al) Families by Grace Tompkins Walker.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
The Tompkins Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Tompkins Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 December 2013 at 20:00.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is