100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, Scottish
Where did the English Stevenson family come from? What is the English Stevenson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Stevenson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Stevenson family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stevenson, Stephenson, Stephinson, Stevenston, Steenson, Stenson, Steinson and many more.
First found in Northumberland where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stevenson research. Another 249 words(18 lines of text) covering the years 1150, 1296, 1455, 1764, 1850, and 1894 are included under the topic Early Stevenson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 28 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Stevenson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Stevenson family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 263 words(19 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stevenson Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Andrew Stevenson settled at Charlestown, Massachusetts in 1630
- Andrew Stevenson, who arrived at Charlestown Massachusetts in 1630
- Christ Stevenson, who arrived in Virginia in 1637
- Phill Stevenson, who arrived in Virginia in 1652
- Richard Stevenson, who came to Barbados in 1654
Stevenson Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Allen Stevenson, who arrived in America in 1700
- Jas Stevenson, who arrived in New England in 1728
- Thos Stevenson, who landed in Virginia in 1740
- Barnabas Stevenson, who landed in America in 1760-1763
- Robert Stevenson, who settled in Boston Massachusetts in 1763
Stevenson Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- John Stevenson, who arrived in America in 1802
- James Stevenson, who arrived in America in 1810
- Martha Stevenson, who landed in Baltimore, Maryland in 1811
- Thomas Stevenson, who landed in America in 1811
- Wm Stevenson, who arrived in New York, NY in 1812
- Edgar McLean Stevenson (1929-1996), American actor, most famous for his role as Lt. Colonel Henry Blake on the TV series M*A*S*H
- William Edwards Stevenson (1900-1985), American Olympic athlete, lawyer, diplomat, and Rhodes Scholar
- Alexandra Winfield Stevenson (b. 1980), American professional tennis player
- Carter Littlepage Stevenson Jr. (1817-1888), American general in the Confederate States Army in the Western Theater of the American Civil War
- Charles Leslie Stevenson (1908-1979), American analytic philosopher, Professor at Yale University from 1939 to 1946
- Coke Robert Stevenson (1888-1975), American politician, 35th Governor of Texas (1941-1947)
- DeShawn Stevenson (b. 1981), American professional NBA basketball player
- Eric A. Stevenson (b. 1966), American politician, Member of the New York State Assembly (2011-)
- Ian Pretyman Stevenson (1918-2007), Canadian-born, American psychiatrist, known for his Reincarnation research and his book Twenty Cases Suggestive of Reincarnation (1966)
- John Stevenson (1718-1785), Scottish-born, American merchant and doctor in Baltimore
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
The Stevenson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stevenson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 October 2014 at 02:57.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!