BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, German
Where did the English Rickman family come from? What is the English Rickman family crest and coat of arms? When did the Rickman family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Rickman family history?The English Rickman surname is generally thought to have been created from Old English personal name composed of the elements "ri-c" meaning "rich," and "mund," meaning "protection." Some instances of the name may have evolved from the name Richmond, which was taken on from a place name.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Rickman, Richman, Ryckman and others.
First found in Huntingdonshire, where a John filius Rikeman was listed in the Rotuli Hundredorum. Other early instances include Robert Rykeman in 1298 in the Assize Rolls of Lincolnshire and William Rykeman in 1327 in the Subsidy Rolls of Sussex.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Rickman research. Another 169 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1601, 1693, 1694, 1799, 1859, 1642, 1737, 1702 and 1703 are included under the topic Early Rickman History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 31 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Rickman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Rickman Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Elizabeth Rickman, aged 16, arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1832
- George Rickman, aged 2, landed in Mobile, Ala in 1832
- John Rickman, aged 10, arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1832
- Margaret Rickman, aged 7, landed in Mobile, Ala in 1832
- Mary Rickman, aged 4, arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1832
Rickman Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Mesche Rickman, aged 24, who settled in America, in 1904
- Caroline Rickman, aged 42, who landed in America from Dorking, England, in 1910
- Arthur P.W. Rickman, aged 39, who landed in America from England, in 1912
- Pat Rickman, aged 41, who landed in America, in 1913
- Gladys Rickman, aged 21, who settled in America from Kingston, Jamaica, in 1920
- Jolie Christine Rickman (1970-2005), American feminist, humanitarian, singer-songwriter and social activist
- William Rickman (1731-1783), political leader of the American Revolution
- Thomas Rickman (1776-1841), English architect
- Thomas 'Clio' Rickman (1760-1834), English publisher and bookseller
- John Rickman (1771-1840), English statistician and government official
- John Rickman (1880-1951), English doctor of medicine, psychiatrist, and psychoanalyst
- Mr. George Albert Rickman, aged 36, English Fireman/Stoker from Southampton, Hampshire who worked aboard the RMS Titanic and survived the sinking escaping on life boat 10
- Alan Rickman (b. 1946), British stage and screen actor
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
The Rickman Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Rickman Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 February 2014 at 09:41.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is