BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the German Peterman family come from? When did the Peterman family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Peterman family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Peter, Petter, Peeter, Peetter, Peater, Peatter, Peters, Petersen, Peer, Peers and many more.
First found in the Palatinate, where the name emerged in mediaeval times as one of the notable families of the region. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Peterman research. Another 349 words(25 lines of text) covering the years 1790, 1747, 1784, 1615, 1676, 1624, 1677, 1779, 1827, 1819, 1864, 1856 and 1918 are included under the topic Early Peterman History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 205 words(15 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Peterman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Peterman Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Peter Peterman, aged 25, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1748
- Johan Jacob Peterman, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1749
- Michael Peterman, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1750
- Henrietta Peterman, who landed in New York, NY in 1751
- Jacob Peterman, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1762
Peterman Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Andrew Peterman, who arrived in New York in 1836
- Sebastian Peterman, who landed in Arkansas in 1886
- Roberta Peterman (b. 1930), birth name of Roberta Peters, the American coloratura soprano awarded the National Medal of Arts in 1998
- Melissa Margaret Peterman (b. 1971), American actress
- Stephen Frederick Peterman (b. 1982), American football guard
- Frank Winton Peterman (b. 1962), Democratic politician
- William David "Bill" Peterman (1921-1999), Major League Baseball catcher
- Eric Peterman (b. 1986), American football wide receiver
- Matthew Peterman, American screenwriter and film
- Dan Peterman, American internationally known artist
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
This page was last modified on 9 September 2013 at 19:48.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is