BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: Danish, Scottish
Where did the Danish Paulsen family come from? What is the Danish Paulsen family crest and coat of arms? When did the Paulsen family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Paulsen family history?The Danish surname Paulsen is of patronymic origin; that is, it was created from the given name of the father of the original bearer of the name. The personal name Poul is a Danish form of the Latin name Paulus (in English Paul), which means "the little". This name was borne by the apostle Paul, who converted to Christianity around the year 35. In medieval Europe, people often named their children after biblical figures in hopes of invoking the protection of this figure.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Poulsen, Poulson, Palleson, Paulsen, Povlsen and others.
First found in Denmark where a Mattis Poulson, was a knight who lived during the fifteenth century. He was a native of Krakum, and died in 1477.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Paulsen research. Another 215 words(15 lines of text) covering the year 1718 is included under the topic Early Paulsen History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 21 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Paulsen Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Paulsen Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Jurgen Paulsen, who arrived in New Netherland(s) in 1642
- Klaus Paulsen, who landed in New Netherland(s) in 1662
Paulsen Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Christian Paulsen, who arrived in America in 1783
Paulsen Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Otto Paulsen, who arrived in North America in 1832-1849
- Ave Kistine Paulsen, aged 22, landed in New York, NY in 1869
- Iver Paulsen, who landed in Iowa in 1885
- August Paulsen, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1894
Paulsen Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- William Paulsen, who landed in Alabama in 1923
- Erik Paulsen, American politician, US Representative from Minnesota
- Robert "Rob" Fredrick Paulsen III (b. 1956), American voice actor, best known as the voice of Raphael from the 1987 cartoon of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Patrick Layton "Pat" Paulsen (1927-1997), American comedian and satirist, best known for his roles on the Smothers Brothers
- Louis Paulsen (1833-1891), German chess player
- Axel Paulsen (1855-1938), Norwegian figure skater and speed skater, inventor of the figure skating Axel jump
- Friedrich Paulsen (1846-1908), German philosopher and educator
- Harald Paulsen (1895-1954), German actor
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The Paulsen Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Paulsen Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 September 2012 at 19:13.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is