BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Dutch Ostrander family come from? When did the Ostrander family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Ostrander family history?The distinguished surname Ostrander is of Dutch origin, and can be literally translated as "from the east border." The name may have been originally borne by one who lived near the eastern border of a town, province, or country.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ostrander, Oostrander, Oestrander, Ooster and others.
First found in Holland, where the ancestral home of the Ostrander family is thought to be located.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ostrander research. Another 346 words(25 lines of text) covering the years 1654 and 1657 are included under the topic Early Ostrander History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 39 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ostrander Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ostrander Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Pieter Pietersen Ostrander, who arrived in New Netherland(s) in 1620-1664
Ostrander Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- J Ostrander, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- F. Ostrander, aged 28, who arrived in America from London, in 1894
- On Ostrander, who landed in Colorado in 1896
- Urr Ostrander, who landed in Colorado in 1896
Ostrander Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- L.B. Ostrander, aged 38, who arrived in America, in 1905
- A. I. Ostrander, aged 53, who arrived in America, in 1906
- Henriette Ostrander, aged 42, who arrived in America, in 1907
- Charles F. Ostrander, who arrived in America, in 1909
- Susie Ostrander, who arrived in America, in 1910
- William Cheesebrough Ostrander (b. 1858), well-known American painter
- Damon Ostrander, popular American pianist
- John Ostrander (b. 1949), American writer of comic books
- Thomas Clinton "T. C." Ostrander (b. 1985), American football quarterback
- Josh Ostrander, American singer-songwriter
- Arthur Frederick Ostrander Sr. (1895-1978), American assistant to the scientist and inventor George Poe
- Isabel Egenton Ostrander (1883-1924), American mystery writer
- Rick Ostrander, American provost at Cornerstone University
- Brigadier-General Lester Smith Ostrander (1895-1965), American Director of Publications Division, Office of the Adjutant-General (1945)
- Elaine Ostrander, member of the Fred Hutchison Cancer Research Center
- Ostrander Family Vital Records: Births, Baptisms and Marriages of the Ostrander Family in New York State and Nearby from 1600 by Barbara Dahl.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München: 1975. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
This page was last modified on 5 June 2014 at 16:00.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is