100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Spanish Ortiz family come from? What is the Spanish Ortiz family crest and coat of arms? When did the Ortiz family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Ortiz family history?From the historical and enchanting region of Spain emerged a multitude of noble families, including the distinguished Ortiz family. Originally, the Spanish people were known only by a single name. The process by which hereditary surnames were adopted in Spain is extremely interesting. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in Spain were patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Spanish patronymic names emerged as early as the mid-9th century and one of the most common patronymic suffix is "iz." The patronyms were derived from a variety of given names that were of many different origins. The name Ortiz is derived from the Latin personal name Fortunio, which means fortunate.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ortiz, Hortiz, Fortiz, Fortes, Hortóñez, Hortoñez, Ordóñez, Ordoñez and many more.
First found in Asturias, where the Christian Reconquest of the Iberian peninsula began in the eighth century.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ortiz research. Another 159 words(11 lines of text) covering the years 1227, 1455, 1503, 1500, 1508, 1510, 1570 and 1545 are included under the topic Early Ortiz History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 329 words(24 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ortiz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Francisco Ortiz de Vergara, a conquistador from Seville who accompanied Alvar Núñez to Paraguay in 1542
- Francisco Ortiz, who emigrated to Nicaragua in 1560
- Catalina Ortiz, landed in Guatemala in 1560
- María Ortiz, settled in Honduras in 1563
- Pedro Ortiz, arrived in Chile in 1565
Ortiz Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Antonio Ortiz, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Romualdo Ortiz, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Isabel Ortiz, who landed in America in 1811
- Bernardino Ortiz, who arrived in America in 1812
- Cristobal Ortiz, who arrived in America in 1813
- Solomon Porfirio Ortiz (b. 1937), American politician, member of the United States House of Representatives, from Texas
- Simon Ortiz (b. 1941), American poet and writer
- Ana Alicia Ortiz (b. 1956), Mexican-born, American actress, best known for her role on the soap opera Falcon Crest
- Humberto "Beto" Ortiz Pajuelo (b. 1978), Peruvian-American journalist, TV personality, and writer
- Carlos Ortiz Longo (b. 1962), Puerto Rican-American health care manager for NASA
- Deborah Ortiz (b. 1957), American politician, state senator from California
- Emmanuel Ortiz (b. 1974), Chicano/Puerto Rican/Irish-American activist and poet
- Roberto María Ortiz (1886-1942), Argentine lawyer and politician, President of Argentina (1938-1942)
- Juan Laurentino Ortiz (1896-1978), Argentine poet
- Adalberto Ortiz (1914-2003), Ecuadorian novelist, poet and diplomat
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Heraldic Patronimica Española Y Sus Patronimicos Compuestos. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1976. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
The Ortiz Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ortiz Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 October 2014 at 17:01.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!