BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the German Niehaus family come from? When did the Niehaus family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Niehaus family history?The roots of the Niehaus family lie in the German duchy of Westphalia. The surname Niehaus is derived from two words, "nie," a Low German word meaning "new," and "haus," the standard German word for "house." Thus, the name may have been originally given to someone who owned his own house as opposed to being a tenant, or to someone who was connected with a new or important building in the settlement.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Niehaus, Niehuus, Nihus, Neuhaus and others.
First found in the farmlands of Westphalia, where it is believed that the name first emerged. There are no reliable written records from this earliest period of the surname's history that show the original bearers, but it is likely that the name was first given to a prominent householder residing in this region.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Niehaus research. Another 195 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1582, 1590, 1657, 1590, 1657, 1795 and 1828 are included under the topic Early Niehaus History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 41 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Niehaus Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Niehaus Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Clemens Niehaus, aged 38, landed in America in 1832
- Clemens Florenz Niehaus, who arrived in America in 1833
- Joh Gerh Heinr Niehaus, who arrived in America in 1837
- Joh Niehaus, who landed in America in 1844
- W Niehaus, who arrived in America in 1844
Niehaus Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Hendrich Niehaus, who arrived in Arkansas in 1906
- Friedrich Wilhelm Niehaus (b. 1889), physician who worked in the American Midwest
- Dave Niehaus (1935-2010), American sportscaster
- Lennie Niehaus (b. 1929), American alto saxophonist, arranger, and composer on the West Coast jazz scene
- Tom Niehaus, American politician, Republican member of the Ohio Senate
- Charles Henry Niehaus (1855-1935), American sculptor
- Richard J. Niehaus (1892-1957), American Major League Baseball pitcher
- Francis W. Niehaus (b. 1902), American professional football player
- Heinrich Niehaus, German professor of political science working in the mid-twentieth century
- Ruth Niehaus (b. 1928), famous German actress
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- Hildenbrand, A.M. Wappenfibel. Handbuch der Heraldik. Neustadt an der Aisch: 1970. Print.
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
This page was last modified on 17 September 2013 at 16:41.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is