100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Spanish Montoya family come from? What is the Spanish Montoya family crest and coat of arms? When did the Montoya family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Montoya family history?Noble surnames, such as Montoya, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the Spanish people. The original bearer of the name Montoya, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain. In Spain, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The Montoya family originally lived in a mountainous region of that province. This local name was originally derived from the Spanish word monte, which means hill or wooded upland.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Montoya, de Montoya, Monte, Montes, de Montes, Móntez, Montez, Montero, Monteros, de los Monteros, Montecillo, Montejo, de Montejo, Mont, Montaña, Montana, Montaño and many more.
First found in the Basque region of northern Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Montoya research. Another 387 words(28 lines of text) covering the years 128 and 1289 are included under the topic Early Montoya History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 161 words(12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Montoya Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Gabriel de Montoya, landed in America in 1528
- Antonio de Montoya, moved to Peru in 1534 with 2 servants
- Juan de Montoya, settled in Venezuela in 1534
- Pedro de Montoya, went to Peru in 1534
- Cristóbal de Montoya, went to Peru in 1579 with his wife María
Montoya Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Gabriel De Montoya, who landed in America in 1828
- Juan De Montoya, who arrived in Venezuela in 1834
- Antono De Montoya, who landed in Peru in 1834
- Pedro De Montoya, who arrived in Peru in 1834
- Cristobal De Montoya, who arrived in Peru in 1879
Montoya Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Eusebio Montoya, aged 21, who landed in America from Amorabreta, Spain, in 1911
- Cicilo Montoya, aged 24, who emigrated to the United States from San Pelayo, Spain, in 1912
- Jose Montoya, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States, in 1919
- Francisco Montoya, aged 27, who settled in America from Almeria, Spain, in 1920
- Francisco Montoya, aged 27, who landed in America from Nijar, Spain, in 1920
- Joseph Manuel Montoya (1915-1978), U.S. Senator for the State of New Mexico from 1964 until 1977
- José Montoya (b. 1932), American poet and artist
- Craig Montoya (b. 1970), American bassist
- Álvaro Montoya (b. 1985), American professional ice hockey goaltender
- Carlos Montoya Jr. (1903-1993), prominent Spanish Flamenco guitarist
- Ramón Montoya (1880-1949), Spanish flamenco guitarist
- Juan Pablo Montoya Roldán (b. 1975), Colombian race car driver
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Chronological list of passengers to Spanish America (including Florida and Louisiana, 1538-1559). From documents in the "Indian Archives". Sevilla. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Heraldic Patronimica Española Y Sus Patronimicos Compuestos. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1976. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The Montoya Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Montoya Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 July 2014 at 16:22.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!