An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: French, Scottish
Where did the French Merchant family come from? What is the French Merchant family crest and coat of arms? When did the Merchant family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Merchant family history?The origins the old family name Merchant can be found within medieval France. While the patronymic and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the name of the father and mother respectively, are the most common form of a hereditary surname in France, occupational surnames also emerged during the late Middle Ages. Many people, such as the Merchant family, adopted the name of their occupation as their surname. The surname Merchant was an occupational name for a merchant or trader.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Marchand, Marchond, Marchonde, Marchont, Marchent, Marchamp, Marchant, Merchamp and many more.
First found in Dauphiné, where the family has held a family seat since ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Merchant research. Another 347 words(25 lines of text) covering the years 1287, 1470, 1600, 1634, 1768, 1600 and 1722 are included under the topic Early Merchant History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 103 words(7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Merchant Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Merchant Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
Merchant Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
Merchant Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
The Merchant Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Merchant Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 March 2013 at 18:54.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.