BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: Irish, Scottish
Where did the Irish McGee family come from? What is the Irish McGee family crest and coat of arms? When did the McGee family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the McGee family history?As a native Irish name, McGee is derived from the Gaelic "Mag Aodha," or "son of Hugh," while others of the name in Ireland, are ultimately of Scottish origin.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Magee, Macgee, Mcgee, McGahee, McGhee and others.
First found in along the border of counties Donegal and Tyrone (Irish:Tír Eoghain), the ancient territory of the O'Neills, now in the Province of Ulster, central Northern Ireland, where they are thought to be descended from the Colla Uais. The McGee surname has also been long associated with County Antrim, because of the peninsula at Lough Larne, known as the Island Magee which was part of their early Ulster territories. Before the Norman invasion in the 12th century, a Magee was chief of a Sept in county Westmeath. Today, the name is most common in Ulster; however, most of these bearers are of Scottish descent.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McGee research. Another 292 words(21 lines of text) covering the years 1717, 1755, 1766, 1821, 1825, 1830, 1831, 1846, 1868, 1880, and 1891 are included under the topic Early McGee History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 32 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McGee Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
McGee Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Andrew McGee settled in Baltimore in 1804
- Andrew McGee who settled in Baltimore in 1804
- Andrew McGee, aged 21, arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1804
- Charles McGee, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1806
- Henry McGee, who landed in America in 1808
- Private William D. McGee (d. 1945), United States Army soldier awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1945
- Willie Dean McGee (b. 1958), American former Major League Baseball outfielder
- Jacob Daniel McGee (b. 1986), nicknamed "Uncle Jake Mcgee", American Major League Baseball pitcher for the Tampa Bay Rays
- William Max McGee (1932-2007), American professional NFL football wide receiver who played for the Green Bay Packers from 1954 to 1967
- Jerry McGee (b. 1943), American professional PGA golfer
- Buford Lamar McGee (b. 1960), American former NFL football running back
- Paul "Skee" McGee (b. 1954), former Irish football player
- Bradley "Brad" McGee (b. 1976), Australian professional cyclist
- Thomas D'Arcy McGee (1825-1868), Canadian journalist, one of the Fathers of Confederation
- Henry McGee (1929-2006), British actor best known for his work with Benny Hill
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Woodham-Smith, Cecil. The Great Hunger Ireland 1845-1849. New York: Old Town Books, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-385-3).
- Read, Charles Anderson. The Cabinet of Irish Literature Selections from the Works of the Chief Poets, Orators and Prose Writers of Ireland 4 Volumes. London: Blackie and Son, 1884. Print.
- MacLysaght, Edward. The Surnames of Ireland 3rd Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1978. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2278-0).
- Tepper, Michael Ed & Elizabeth P. Bentley Transcriber. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of Philadelphia 1800-1819. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1986. Print.
- Heraldic Scroll and Map of Family names and Origins of Ireland. Dublin: Mullins. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- MacLysaght, Edward. Irish Families Their Names, Arms and Origins 4th Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2364-7).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
The McGee Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McGee Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 July 2014 at 01:03.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is