An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: Irish, Scottish
Where did the Irish McConkey family come from? What is the Irish McConkey family crest and coat of arms? When did the McConkey family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the McConkey family history?The original Gaelic form of the name McConkey is Óconnachtaigh. This name can be considered a place name as it indicates that its original bearer inhabited Connaught. The prefix O, meaning '"grandson of" indicates descent from the original bearer.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Conaty, O'Conaty, Connaghty, Connoty, MacConaghy, MacConkey and many more.
First found in County Donegal with the MacSweenys. That name is derived from Suibhne O'Neill, who was a chieftain in Argyll, Scotland. His descendants migrated to Ireland as gallowglasses (mercenaries) prior to 1267. The three great septs of this name finally established themselves in Tirconnell in 14th century; they were known as MacSweeney Fanad, MacSweeney Banagh, and MacSweeney na dTuath, who were commonly referred to as 'MacSweeney of the Battleaxes.'
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McConkey research. Another 363 words(26 lines of text) covering the years 189 and 1893 are included under the topic Early McConkey History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early McConkey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
McConkey Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
McConkey Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
The McConkey Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McConkey Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 July 2014 at 12:42.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.