100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish McCall family come from? What is the Scottish McCall family crest and coat of arms? When did the McCall family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the McCall family history?On the Scottish west coast, the McCall family was born among the ancient Dalriadan clans. Their name comes from the Gaelic surname of Scottish origin, which means son of the battle chief.
In various documents McCall has been spelled Since medieval scribes still spelled according to sound, records from that era contain an enormous number of spelling variations. MacAll, MacColl, MacCole, MacCall, MacAul, Mccall and others.
First found in Argyllshire, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McCall research. Another 273 words(20 lines of text) covering the year 1602 is included under the topic Early McCall History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early McCall Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the McCall family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 158 words(11 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Significant portions of the populations of both the United States and Canada are still made up of the ancestors of Dalriadan families. Some of those in Canada originally settled the United States, but went north as United Empire Loyalists in the American War of Independence. The late 19th and early 20th centuries saw the ancestors of many Scots on both sides of the border begin to recover their collective national heritage through Clan societies and highland games. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
McCall Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- James McCall, who arrived in New Jersey in 1685
- Martin McCall, who arrived in New Jersey in 1685
- William McCall, who landed in New Jersey in 1685
McCall Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Donald McCall, who arrived in America in 1760
- John McCall, who landed in Savanna(h), Georgia in 1794
McCall Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Dougal McCall, who landed in New York in 1800
- Dugall McCall, aged 46, arrived in New York in 1812
- Daniel McCall, aged 27, landed in North Carolina in 1812
- Terence McCall, who landed in New York in 1829
- Andrew McCall, who arrived in New York, NY in 1840
- Staff Sergeant Thomas Edward McCall (1916-1965), American officer awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1944
- Captain Edward R. McCall (1790-1853), American Naval officer in the U.S. Navy during the War of 1812
- Jack McCall (1850-1877), American outlaw who killed James "Wild Bill" Hickok
- Samuel Walker McCall (1851-1923), American politician, member of the United States House of Representatives, and Governor of Massachusetts
- Thomas Lawson McCall (1913-1983), American politician and journalist, Governor of the Oregon (1967-1975)
- Herman Carl McCall (1935-1993), American politician, 52nd Comptroller of New York (1993-2002)
- Robert McCall (1919-2010), American conceptual artist, known for his work on 2001: A Space Odyssey, and with NASA
- Andy McCall (b. 1911), Scottish footballer and manager
- Ian McCall (b. 1965), Scottish footballer
- Andrew Stuart Murray McCall (b. 1964), Scottish former footballer
- Campbell and McCall Family History by Rachel M. Campbell.
- Captain John McCall by Clare M. McCall.
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. The Charters of David I The Written Acts of David I King of Scots, 1124-53 and of His Son Henry, Earl of Northumerland, 1139-52. Woodbridge: The Boydell Press, 1999. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bloxham, Ben. Key to Parochial Registers of Scotland From Earliest Times Through 1854 2nd edition. Provo, UT: Stevenson's Genealogical Center, 1979. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Martine, Roddy, Roderick Martine and Don Pottinger. Scottish Clan and Family Names Their Arms, Origins and Tartans. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992. Print.
- Adam, Frank. Clans Septs and Regiments of the Scottish Highlands 8th Edition. London: Bacon (G.W.) & Co, 1970. Print. (ISBN 10-0717945006).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Socts Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Modern Application of the Art of Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
The McCall Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McCall Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 December 2013 at 09:57.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!