100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, Scottish
Where did the Scottish McAdams family come from? What is the Scottish McAdams family crest and coat of arms? When did the McAdams family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the McAdams family history?In ancient Scotland, the ancestors of the first people to use the name McAdams were part of a tribe known as the Strathclyde Britons. The name is derived from the given name Adam, which is itself derived from the Latin name Adamus which means earth.
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacAdam, MacAdams, McAdam, McAdams, MacCaw and others.
First found in Annandale, where they held a family seat at Kynemund and at Waterhead in the Stewartry of Kirkudbright.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McAdams research. Another 326 words(23 lines of text) covering the years 1189, 1329, 1460, 1728, 1792, and 1891 are included under the topic Early McAdams History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 36 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McAdams Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the McAdams family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 248 words(18 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
McAdams Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- George McAdams, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1803-1827
- Robert McAdams, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1838
- William McAdams, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1841
- Samuel McAdams, who landed in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania in 1843
- John McAdams, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1853
McAdams Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Alex McAdams, aged 14, who emigrated to the United States from Glasgow, in 1901
- George McAdams, aged 39, who landed in America from Aberdeen, in 1906
- George McAdams, aged 26, who settled in America from Sligo, in 1906
- Bridget McAdams, aged 40, who settled in America from Leitrim, Ireland, in 1907
- Edward McAdams, aged 33, who landed in America, in 1908
- Carl McAdams (b. 1944), American professional football player
- Dona Ann McAdams (b. 1954), American photographer
- Francis H. McAdams (1915-1985), American member of the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB)
- Janet McAdams, American author of partial Native American descent, recipient of the American Book Award in 2001
- Ben McAdams (b. 1974), Utah state senator
- Billy McAdams (1939-2002), Northern-Irish footballer
- Rachel McAdams (b. 1978), Canadian Gemini Award winning and BAFTA Award nominated actress
- Scott McAdams (b. 1970), Mayor of Sitka, Alaska and Democratic nominee for United States Senator from Alaska in 2010
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Scots Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Mordern Application of the Art and Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
- Martine, Roddy, Roderick Martine and Don Pottinger. Scottish Clan and Family Names Their Arms, Origins and Tartans. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Urquhart, Blair Edition. Tartans The New Compact Study Guide and Identifier. Secauccus, NJ: Chartwell Books, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0-7858-0050-6).
- Bloxham, Ben. Key to Parochial Registers of Scotland From Earliest Times Through 1854 2nd edition. Provo, UT: Stevenson's Genealogical Center, 1979. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
The McAdams Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McAdams Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 September 2014 at 16:51.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!