100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: French, German
Where did the French Mathis family come from? What is the French Mathis family crest and coat of arms? When did the Mathis family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Mathis family history?As with many French family names, the distinguished surname Mathis is rich in ancient heritage. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in France were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. The name Mathis is derived from the Hebrew Biblical given name Matityahu (Matthew), meaning gift of God.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Mathieu, Mathieue, Mathieues, Mathieus, Mathieux, Mathis, Matieu, Matieue, Mathius, Matieues, Matieus, Matieux, Mathioux, Mathioue and many more.
First found in Burgundy (French: Bourgogne), an administrative and historical region of east-central France where the family has held a family seat since early times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mathis research. Another 475 words(34 lines of text) covering the years 1286, 1682, 1808, 1810, and 1865 are included under the topic Early Mathis History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 35 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Mathis Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Mathis Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Ann Mathis, who landed in Virginia in 1636
Mathis Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Hans Jacob Mathis, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1733
Mathis Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Christian Mathis, who arrived in New York in 1847
- Cathrine Mathis, aged 26, landed in New York, NY in 1852
- Jean Mathis, aged 57, arrived in New York, NY in 1852
- John C Mathis, who landed in Indiana in 1852
- Madeleine Mathis, aged 23, arrived in New York, NY in 1852
- First Lieutenant Jack W Mathis, American officer awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1943
- Buster Mathis (1943-1995), American heavyweight boxer
- Terance Mathis (b. 1967), American Pro Bowl wide receiver in the NFL
- Johnny Mathis (b. 1935), American popular music singer, inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame and recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award by the Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences
- James C. Mathis III (b. 1974), American voice actor
- Samantha Mathis (b. 1970), American actress
- Ana Mathis (b. 1959), American voice artist
- Greg Mathis (b. 1960), American judge
- Edith Mathis (b. 1938), soprano from Lucerne, Switzerland. She made her debut at the MET as Pamina in The Magic Flute in 1970
- The Mathis Family of Little Egg Harbor by Murray Harris.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- De Ville, Winston. Gulf Coast Colonials, A Compendium of French Families in Early Eighteenth Century Louisiana. Baltimore, MD: Clearfield, 1999. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
The Mathis Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Mathis Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 October 2014 at 07:26.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!