BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: French, Welsh
Where did the French Mathes family come from? What is the French Mathes family crest and coat of arms? When did the Mathes family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Mathes family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Matey, Mateu, Mathy, Mathay, Mathenay, Mathe, Mathey, Maathe, Mathei, Mattei, Mathei, Mathes and many more.
First found in Champagne, where the family has been a prominent family for centuries, and held a family seat with lands and manor. The family were well established in the region of Ardennes/Marne and several members of the family distinguished themselves through their contributions toward the community in which they lived and were rewarded with lands, titles and letters patent confirming their nobility.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mathes research. Another 113 words(8 lines of text) covering the years 1630 and 1696 are included under the topic Early Mathes History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 23 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Mathes Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Mathes Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- George Mathes, who arrived in New York in 1847
- Cael Mathes, aged 28, landed in Missouri in 1848
- Catharine Mathes, aged 25, arrived in New York, NY in 1849
- Christian Mathes, who landed in Illinois in 1852
- Maria Mathes, who arrived in North America in 1852
- Samuel Jay Mathes (1849-1927), American pioneer printer and newspaperman
- Rob Mathes, American record producer, music arranger, composer, songwriter, and performer
- Joseph John Mathes (1891-1978), American Major League Baseball infielder
- Harry Mathes (1882-1969), American painter in the New York art scene
- William Carey Mathes (1899-1967), United States federal judge
- Charles Mathes (b. 1949), American author of mystery novels
- Simone Mathes (b. 1975), retired female hammer thrower from Germany
- Édouard Mathes (1886-1934), Australian born French silent film actor
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- De Ville, Winston. Gulf Coast Colonials, A Compendium of French Families in Early Eighteenth Century Louisiana. Baltimore, MD: Clearfield, 1999. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Doyle, William. The Oxford History of the French Revolution. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0192852213).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Mathes Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Mathes Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 June 2014 at 01:39.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is