100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: French, Spanish
Where did the Spanish Marquez family come from? What is the Spanish Marquez family crest and coat of arms? When did the Marquez family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Marquez family history?The mountainous borders of Spain contain the origins of the prestigious surname Marquez. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in Spain were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Spanish patronymic names emerged as early as the mid-9th century and the most common patronymic suffix is ez.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Márquez, Marquez, Marque, Márquiz, Marquiz, Marco and many more.
First found in Castile, predominant among the Christian kingdoms of medieval Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Marquez research. Another 371 words(26 lines of text) covering the year 1026 is included under the topic Early Marquez History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 34 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Marquez Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Juan Márquez, who arrived with his wife in America in 1511
- Catalina Márquez, who arrived in America in 1517
- Lope Márquez, who settled in Cartagena in 1534
- Domingo Márquez, who settled in Río de la Plata in 1535
- Inés Márquez, who opted for New Spain in 1536
Marquez Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Luis Marquez, who landed in America in 1813
- Pedro Marquez, who landed in America in 1813
- Jose Marquez, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1816
- José Márquez, who opted for Puerto Rico in 1816
- Antonio Marquez, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1816
- Felipe González Márquez (b. 1942), Spanish politician, Prime Minister (1982-1996)
- Gabriel García Márquez (b. 1928), Colombian novelist who won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1982
- Vernon O Marquez, Canadian business executive and Chairman of Bishop's University Dept. of Business Administration
- Carlos D Márquez, Argentine military official and politician
- Alfredo C Márquez, Chief Judge
- Jorge Valladares Marquez (1891-1962), poet from Guatemala
- Arturo Márquez (b. 1950), Mexican composer
- Colletta, John P. They Came in Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Armorial Général by J.B. Rietstap. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. 1967. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-209).
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
The Marquez Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Marquez Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 20 November 2013 at 08:06.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!