100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: Danish, German, Norwegian, Swedish
Where did the Swedish Larson family come from? What is the Swedish Larson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Larson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Larson family history?The origin of the distinguished Larson family can be traced to the historic Scandinavian country of Sweden. The surname Larson is derived from the personal name Lars, which is a pet form of the name Lawrence. This name is in turn derived from the Latin name Laurentius, which literally means man from Laurentium, a town in Italy named for its laurels or bay trees. The popularity of this name in medieval Europe is due to the exploits of a saint who was martyred at Rome in the 3rd century. The suffix -sen and its variants are translatable as son of.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Larson Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Lars Larson, who arrived in New York, NY in 1825
- L Larson, aged 24, landed in New Orleans, La in 1846
- Johannes Larson, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1847
- Barth Larson, who arrived in Mississippi in 1849
- Samuel Larson, aged 45, arrived in New York in 1850
Larson Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Lars Andrew Larson, who landed in Wisconsin in 1907
- Esten Larson, who arrived in Wisconsin in 1913
- Mads Larson, who arrived in Wisconsin in 1914
- Nels Larson, who arrived in Wisconsin in 1923
- Axel Werner Larson, who landed in Alabama in 1923
- Jonathan Larson (1960-1996), American composer, dramatist, and lyricist awarded the 2007 Pulitzer Prize for Drama
- Gary Larson (b. 1950), American cartoonist and creator of The Far Side
- Glen A. Larson (b. 1937), American television writer and producer
- Eric Larson (1905-1988), American animator for the Walt Disney Studios, one of the "Disney's Nine Old Men", he worked on Snow White, Fantasia, Dumbo, Bambi, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, and many more
- Admiral Charles R. Larson (b. 1936), American former Commander in chief, United States Pacific Command
- Ronald Edwin "Ron" Larson (b. 1941), American mathematician and author
- Brie Larson (b. 1989), American actress and pop rock singer/songwriter
- Nathan Larson (b. 1970), American film composer, musician, and author
- Major-General Westside T. Larson (1892-1977), American Commanding General of the VIII Fighter Command, High Wycombe, England (1945)
- Major Donald A. Larson (d. 1944), USAAF fighter pilot and ace killed in action on 4th of August 1944, eponym of the Larson Air Force Base, Washington
- Life in Nebraska and our Heritage by Ellen Larson.
- The Larson Legacy by Lee Grippen.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
The Larson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Larson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 April 2014 at 16:12.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!