BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: German, Jewish
Where did the German Krause family come from? What is the German Krause family crest and coat of arms? When did the Krause family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Krause family history?The origin of the proud surname Krause can be traced to the historic kingdom of Bohemia, which today encompasses the Czech republic. The name is derived from the Upper German word "Kraus," meaning "curly."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Krauss, Krausse, Kraus, Krause, Krausser, Krauser, Crauss, Crausse, Craus and many more.
First found in Bohemia, where the name was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Krause research. Another 367 words(26 lines of text) covering the years 1710, 1792, 1792, 1861, 1855, 1671, 1787, 1816, 1655, 1719, 1737, 1806, 1756, 1792, 1781 and 1832 are included under the topic Early Krause History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 109 words(8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Krause Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Krause Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Christiana B Krause, who landed in New York, NY in 1743
- Christina B Krause, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1743
- Matthaeus Krause, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1743
- Matthew Krause, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1743
- Rosina Krause, who landed in New York, NY in 1749
Krause Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Leberecht Friedrich Ehregott Krause, aged 34, arrived in America in 1838
- Wilhelmine Krause, aged 25, landed in America in 1839
- Dorothea Sophia Krause, aged 56, landed in America in 1839
- Elisabeth, Johannes, Margarete, and William Krause came to Baltimore in 1840
- Hanna Luise Wilhelmine Krause, aged 33, landed in America in 1843
Krause Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Phillip Krause, aged 22, landed in New York, NY in 1901
- Bernie Krause (b. 1938), American musician
- Brian Jeffrey Krause (b. 1969), American actor
- Charles I. Krause (1911-2002), American labor union organizer and local executive
- Dr Ernst H. Krause (1913-1989), American nuclear physicist and aerospace executive
- Charles Krause, American sliver and bronze Olympic medalist for gymnastics at the 1904 games
- Christiane Krause (b. 1950), German Olympic athlete
- Fedor Krause (1857-1937), pioneering German neurosurgeon
- Barbara Krause (b. 1959), East German three-time Olympic gold medalist and eight-time world record holding freestyle swimmer
- Benjamin Krause (b. 1982), German international rugby union player
- Bernhard Krause (1910-1945), German Obersturmbannführer in the Waffen-SS during World War II, recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Hildenbrand, A.M. Wappenfibel. Handbuch der Heraldik. Neustadt an der Aisch: 1970. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
The Krause Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Krause Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 April 2014 at 13:08.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is