100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: German, Irish
Where did the German Kerns family come from? What is the German Kerns family crest and coat of arms? When did the Kerns family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Kerns family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Kern, Kerne, Kerrn, Kerns, Kernes, Kernns, Keerns, Kerrns, Keern, Kernn, Kernen, Gern, Cern, Kurn and many more.
First found in Silesia, where the name gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates and branches, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kerns research. Another 215 words(15 lines of text) covering the years 1745, 1839, and 1845 are included under the topic Early Kerns History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Kerns Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Kerns Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- William Kerns, who landed in America in 1811
- M Kerns, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Andrew Kerns, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1878
- Nellie Kerns, aged 30, who emigrated to America, in 1892
- Maggie Kerns, aged 20, who settled in America, in 1893
Kerns Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- May Kerns, aged 1, who landed in America from Dungloe, in 1902
- Elizabeth Kerns, aged 45, who landed in America from Dublin, in 1903
- Catherine Kerns, aged 12, who emigrated to the United States from Donegal, Ireland, in 1904
- Delia Kerns, aged 22, who emigrated to the United States from Bellymote, Ireland, in 1907
- Patrick Kerns, aged 23, who landed in America from Newry, Ireland, in 1907
- Jerome David Kerns (1885-1945), American composer
- Joanna Kerns (b. 1953), born Joanne Crussie DeVarona, American actress and director, best known for her role as Maggie Seaver on the comedy Growing Pains (1985-1992)
- Maude Irvine Kerns (1876-1965), American artist
- Brian Douglas Kerns (b. 1957), American politician, Republican Representative from Indiana
- Sandra Borgsmiller Kerns (b. 1949), American movie and television actress
- Robert Kerns (1933-1989), American baritone
- Kevin Kerns (b. 1958), American pianist
- Tony Kerns (b. 1969), Singapore-based American film director, screenwriter
- Ed Kerns (b. 1945), American abstract artist and educator
- Enrico Kerns (b. 1979), German footballer
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Schenk, Trudy. Wuerttemberg Emigration Index Volume I-VIII. Salt Lake City: Ancestry Inc., 1986. Print.
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
The Kerns Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Kerns Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 December 2013 at 07:00.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!