100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: Danish, English, Scottish, Swedish
Where did the Swedish Johnson family come from? What is the Swedish Johnson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Johnson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Johnson family history?
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Johnson Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Davy Johnson, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1630
- Choyce Johnson, who landed in Virginia in 1635
- Edmond Johnson, aged 23, landed in New England in 1635
- Eliz Johnson, aged 18, arrived in Virginia in 1635
- Alice Johnson, who settled in Virginia in 1635
Johnson Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Catherine Johnson, who landed in Virginia in 1703
- Arthur Johnson, who arrived in Virginia in 1713
- Anne Johnson, who arrived in Virginia in 1714
- Adam Johnson, who landed in New England in 1738
- Abraham Johnson, who landed in New England in 1760
Johnson Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Bryan Johnson, aged 25, arrived in New York in 1812
- Archibald Johnson, aged 21, arrived in Maryland in 1813
- Deborah Johnson, who landed in Massachusetts in 1813
- Michael Johnson, who was living in New York in 1818
- Ellen Johnson, aged 40, landed in America in 1822
Johnson Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Christ Johnson, who arrived in New York, NY in 1905
- Alfred Johnson, who arrived in Wisconsin in 1914
- Arnold Johnson, who landed in Wisconsin in 1917
- President Lyndon Baines Johnson (1908-1973), 36th President of the United States and recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Robert Johnson (1911-1938), influential American blues singer and guitarist
- Michael Johnson (b. 1967), American gold medal winning sprinter
- Carol Diahann Johnson (b. 1935), original name of Diahann Carroll, an American award-winning actress and singer
- Caryn Elaine Johnson (b. 1950), original name of Whoopi Goldberg, American actress, comedian, singer-songwriter, activist, and media personality
- James Price Johnson (1894-1955), African-American pianist and composer
- Willie Gary "Bunk" Johnson (1879-1949), prominent early New Orleans jazz trumpet player
- Elizabeth McCardle Johnson (1810-1876), 22nd First Lady of the United States and the wife of President Andrew Johnson
- Allen Kenneth Johnson (b. 1971), American athlete who Olympic Gold in the 110 meter high hurdles at the 1996 games
- Merle Johnson Jr. (1936-2001), original name of Troy Donahue, an American actor and teen idol of the late 1950s and early 1960s
- The Johnson Family by Ruby Wiedman.
- Some Johnsons of Southern Maryland by Leona A. Cryer.
- Those Handy Nordics by Ethel Marie Johnson Taylor.
- The Descendants of William and John Johnson.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
The Johnson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Johnson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 June 2014 at 08:31.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!