BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, Irish
Where did the Irish Hussey family come from? What is the Irish Hussey family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hussey family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hussey family history?The Hussey surname in Ireland generally derives from the name of a Norman family, originally from the area of Houssaye in the Seine-Maritime region of Normandy. The name was sometimes converted into Gaelic as Ó hEodhusa, and from that, was re-Anglicized, occasionally into Oswell.
Spelling variations of this family name include: O'Hosey, Ohosey, Hussey, Hosey, Oswell and others.
First found in County Meath (Irish: An Mhí) anciently part of the kingdom of Brega, located in Eastern Ireland, in the province of Leinster where bearers of the name acquire extensive lands near Dublin from Hugo de Lacy. The name had first come from Normandy to England, where a family held a family seat at Kent where they were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hussey research. Another 293 words(21 lines of text) covering the years 1294, 1550, 1569, 1612, and 1614 are included under the topic Early Hussey History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 49 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hussey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Hussey family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hussey Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Stephen Hussey and his wife Theodate, who settled in Boston in 1632
- Christopher Hussey, who settled in Boston in 1632
- Christopher Hussey, who landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1632
- David Hussey, who landed in Virginia in 1648
- David Hussey, who came to Virginia in 1648
Hussey Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Ann Hussey, a bonded passenger, who came to Annapolis, Maryland in 1725
- Benjamin Hussey, who came to Pennsylvania in 1728
- Martha Hussey, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1742
- Robert Hussey, who arrived in New York, NY in 1742
- Catherine Hussey, who arrived in Maryland in 1769
Hussey Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- John Hussey, who arrived in America in 1811
- Maunee Hussey, aged 35, arrived in Missouri in 1840
- Oliver, Anthony, Christopher, James, Michael, Patrick and Thomas Hussey, who all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860
- Ruth Carol Hussey (1911-2005), American actress best known for her Oscar-nominated role as photographer Liz Imbrie in "The Philadelphia Story" with Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn, and Jimmy Stewart
- Erastus Hussey (1800-1889), American abolitionist, a stationmaster on the Underground Railroad, one of the founders of the Republican Party
- Francis Valentine Joseph "Frank" Hussey (1905-1974), American gold medalist in 4x100 m relay at the 1924 Summer Olympics
- Matt Hussey (b. 1979), American professional ice hockey center
- Arthur Hussey, American bronze medalist for golf at the 1904 Olympic games
- Phillip Hussey (1713-1783), Irish portrait painter
- Reverend Thomas Hussey (1741-1803), Irish Bishop of Waterford and Lismore
- Gemma Hussey (b. 1938), Irish politician, Minister for Education (1982-1986)
- Joan Mervyn Hussey Ph.D. (1907-2006), British Byzantine scholar and historian
- Marmaduke James Hussey (1923-2006), Baron Hussey of North Bradley, Chairman of the Board of Governors of the BBC from 1986 to 1996
- Harris, Ruth-Ann and B. Emer O'Keefe. The Search for Missing Friends Irish Immigrant Advertisements Placed in the Boston Pilot Volume II 1851-1853. Boston, MA: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1991. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of Ireland. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1969. Print.
- Grehan, Ida. Dictionary of Irish Family Names. Boulder: Roberts Rinehart, 1997. Print. (ISBN 1-57098-137-X).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
The Hussey Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hussey Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 February 2014 at 11:53.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is