BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Hudson family come from? What is the English Hudson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hudson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hudson family history?The name Hudson has a rich and ancient history. It is an Anglo-Saxon name that was originally derived from the name Hudd, a pet form of both Hugh and Richard. The surname Hudson features the patronymic suffix -son, which was most common in the north of England and superseded other patronymic suffixes in popularity during the 14th century.
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Hudson include Hudson, Hutson and others.
First found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hudson research. Another 163 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1560, 1611, 1619, 1682, 1662, 1719, 1615 and 1672 are included under the topic Early Hudson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 139 words(10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hudson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Hudson Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Robert Hudson, who arrived in Virginia in 1623
- Edward Hudson, who landed in Jamestown, Va in 1624
- William Hudson, who landed in Lynn, Massachusetts in 1631
- Suzan Hudson, aged 20, landed in St Christopher in 1634
- Francis Hudson, aged 36, landed in St Christopher in 1635
Hudson Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Susannah Hudson, who arrived in Virginia in 1702
- Roger Hudson, who arrived in Virginia in 1705
- Susana Hudson, who landed in Virginia in 1706
- Susanah Hudson, who arrived in Virginia in 1718
- Hannah Hudson, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1730
Hudson Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Elizabeth Hudson, aged 22, arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804
- Hy Hudson, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Michael Hudson, who arrived in Washington County, Pennsylvania in 1852
- Joe Hudson, aged 14, landed in New York in 1854
- Henry Hudson, who landed in Arkansas in 1882
- Brett Hudson (b. 1953), American musician, singer, and songwriter, one of the Hudson Brothers
- Ernie Hudson (b. 1945), American actor and playwright
- Kate Hudson (b. 1979), American Oscar-nominated actress
- Rock Hudson (1925-1985), born Roy Harold Scherer, Jr., legendary American four-time Golden Globe Award winning actor, best known for his comedic roles with Doris Day
- Joseph Lowthian Hudson (1846-1912), English-born, American merchant who founded the Hudson's department store, Detroit and providing the seed capital for the Hudson Motor Car Company in 1909
- Saul Hudson (b. 1965), better known by his stage name Slash, English musician and songwriter, best known as the former lead guitarist of the American hard rock band Guns N' Roses, inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2012
- Timothy Adam "Tim" Hudson (b. 1975), American Major League Baseball pitcher with the Atlanta Braves
- Captain William Levereth Hudson USN (1794-1862), United States Navy officer
- Robert Spear Hudson (1812-1884), English businessman who popularized dry soap powder
- Hugh Hudson (b. 1937), English film director
- Della Elizabeth Butler Hudson Be.
- : Her Family and Ancestors by Martha Ann Butler.
- Genealogy and History of the Garmire-Dunmire and Hudson Families: Also Some Family Lines, Snedeker, Wyckoff, Van Voorhies, Gutshall, Shockar, Addleman, Jacob, Parker of Chester Co., Penn., Frey, and Frankhouser by Live M. Garmire-Parker.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
The Hudson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hudson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 July 2014 at 18:30.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is