100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish Huddleston family come from? When did the Huddleston family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Huddleston family history?The surname Huddleston was derived from a pre-existing place named Huddleston in the West Riding of Yorkshire. The place name is in turn derived from the Old English personal name Hudel.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Huddleston, Hoddleston, Hodleston, Hiddleston, Hiddlestone and many more.
First found in Cumberland, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Huddleston research. Another 259 words(18 lines of text) covering the years 1774, 1296, 1583, 1655, 1608 and 1698 are included under the topic Early Huddleston History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 113 words(8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Huddleston Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Huddleston Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- John Huddleston, who settled in Maine in 1622
Huddleston Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Joseph Henry Huddleston, a child apprentice, who arrived in Barbados in 1755
- Thomas Huddleston, who came to Maryland in 1775
Huddleston Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- David Huddleston, who arrived in New York in 1838
- George Huddleston Jr. (1920-1971), American Democratic politician, Representative from Alabama (1955-1965)
- David William Huddleston (b. 1930), American Primetime Emmy Award nominated actor, best known for his roles in Blazing Saddles, Santa Claus: The Movie and The Big Lebowski
- George Huddleston (1869-1960), American politician, U.S. Representative from Alabama (1915-1937)
- Walter Darlington "Dee" Huddleston (b. 1926), retired American politician, United States Senator from Kentucky (1973-1985)
- Mark W. Huddleston, American academic, 19th President of the University of New Hampshire
- Floyd Huddleston (1918-1991), American Academy Award nominated songwriter, screenwriter, and television producer, best known for his work on The AristoCats (1970), 101 Dalmatians (1996) and Robin Hood (1973)
- Sir Trevor Huddleston (1913-1998), British Anglican prelate and anti-apartheid activist, Anglican bishop of Masasi, Tanzania, Mauritius, and of the Indian Ocean
- Sir John Walter Huddleston (1815-1890), Baron Huddleston, English judge of the Exchequer of Pleas
- Major-General Sir Hubert Jervoise Huddleston GCMG GBE CB DSO (1880-1950), British General Officer Commanding Northern Ireland District
- William Huddleston (1826-1894), British colonial administrator, Governor of Madras in 1881
- Jarriot Morgan Huddleston Family, 1775- by Tim Huddleston.
- Josiah Dunn Huddleston, 1782-1865: Ancestors and Descendants by Irma Huddleston Bloom.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Scotch Irish Pioneers In Ulster and America. Montana: Kessinger Publishing. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Scots Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Mordern Application of the Art and Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Browne, James. The History of Scotland it's Highlands, Regiments and Clans 8 Volumes. Edinburgh: Francis A Niccolls & Co, 1909. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
This page was last modified on 12 March 2014 at 14:10.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!