BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish Howson family come from? When did the Howson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Howson family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Howison, Howieson, Howeson, Howyson, Howson and others.
First found in Midlothian, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Howson research. Another 229 words(16 lines of text) covering the years 1300, 1600, 1567, 1711, 1787, 1557, 1632, 1619 and 1628 are included under the topic Early Howson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 29 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Howson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Howson Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Peter Howson, aged 31, landed in America in 1634
- Eliz Howson, who arrived in Virginia in 1663
- Rich Howson, who arrived in Virginia in 1664
- Samuel Howson, who landed in Maryland in 1670
Howson Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- William Howson, aged 50, who emigrated to the United States from Doncaster, England, in 1893
- Henry Howson, aged 20, who settled in America from Leeds, in 1898
Howson Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- William Howson, aged 46, who landed in America from London, in 1904
- John Howson, aged 49, who emigrated to the United States from Harthill, Scotland, in 1907
- Anthony Howson, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States from Accrington, England, in 1907
- George Henry Howson, aged 27, who landed in America from High Shields, England, in 1909
- Wm. A. Howson, aged 41, who settled in America, in 1909
- Nicholas C Howson J.D.,, American Assistant Professor of Law at the University of Michigan
- Peter Howson OBE (b. 1958), Scottish painter
- Colin Howson Ph.D.,, Chair in Philosophy of Science at the London School of Economics
- Peter Howson (1920-2009), Australian politician, Minister for Air (1964-1968), and Environment, Aborigines and the Arts (1971-1972)
- Jonathan Mark "Jonny" Howson (b. 1988), English footballer
- John Saul Howson (1816-1885), English divine
- Frank Michael Howson (b. 1952), Australian film director, producer and screenwriter
- Peter Howson CMG (1919-2009), Australian politician
- John Michael Howson OAM (b. 1936), Australian writer, reporter and entertainer
- Donald Scott Howson (b. 1960), Canadian retired NHL ice hockey player
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Scarlett, James D. Tartan The Highland Textile. London: Shepheard-Walwyn, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0-85683-120-4).
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Bain, Robert. The Clans and Tartans of Scotland. Glasgow & London: Collins, 1968. Print. (ISBN 000411117-6).
- Martine, Roddy, Roderick Martine and Don Pottinger. Scottish Clan and Family Names Their Arms, Origins and Tartans. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
This page was last modified on 17 April 2012 at 08:47.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is