100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Origins Available: English, French-Alt, French
Where did the French Herbert family come from? What is the French Herbert family crest and coat of arms? When did the Herbert family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Herbert family history?The surname Herbert comes ultimately from a Germanic personal (first) name, composed of the elements "hari," meaning "army" and "behrt," meaning "illustrious." Saint Haribert was the archbishop of Cologne circa. 1000, and versions of Herbert became a popular given name amongst the French nobility.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hebert, Harbert, Herbert, Herbot, Harbelot and others.
First found in Normandy, where Herbert families were the Lords (seigneurs) of Plaigniere and of Beauvoir. This branch of the family came from England in the 15th century and were given these lands by King Richard of England. It it thought that other branches no doubt pre-dated the Herbert family that came from England.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Herbert research. Another 123 words(9 lines of text) covering the years 1548, 1666, 1575, 1627, 1604 and 1725 are included under the topic Early Herbert History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 177 words(13 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Herbert Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Herbert Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- John Herbert settled in Salem Massachusetts in 1630
- Andries Herbert, who landed in New York in 1642-1643
- Thomas Herbert settled in Virginia in 1651
- Sylvester Herbert, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1652
- Clemence Herbert, who landed in Virginia in 1657
Herbert Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Richard Herbert, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1717
- Henry Herbert, who arrived in Georgia in 1732
- Michael Herbert, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1746
Herbert Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Jeremiah Herbert, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1832
- Bonifacius Herbert, who landed in North America in 1832-1849
- Walter Herbert, aged 36, landed in Key West, Fla in 1838
- John Herbert, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1839
- H Adam Herbert, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1848
Herbert Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Jesse Ernest Herbert, who arrived in California in 1905
- Victor Herbert (1859-1924), Irish-American cellist, composer, and conductor
- Frank Herbert (1920-1986), critically acclaimed American science fiction author best known for the novel "Dune"
- Thomas James Herbert (1894-1974), American politician, 56th Governor of Ohio
- Sir Alan Patrick Herbert (1890-1971), English author and member of Parliament
- John Herbert, Australian Politician
- Robert George Wyndham Herbert (1831-1905), English-born, first Premier of Queensland, Australia
- Sir Otway Herbert (1901-1984), English Lieutenant General of the Royal Artillery
- Sir John Arthur Herbert GCIE (1895-1943), English Conservative Party politician
- George Herbert (1866-1923), 5th Earl of Carnarvon, British Egyptologist
- Mary Balfour Herbert (1817-1893), Irish painter
- Herbert in England & Virginia, 1399-1900s by Alice Granberry Walter.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Conrad, Glenn R. The First Families of Louisiana. Baton Rouge LA: Claitor's Publishing, 1970. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- D'Hozier Charles. Armorial Général de France. Paris: Dillon, 1875. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
The Herbert Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Herbert Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 August 2012 at 08:15.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!