BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: German, Jewish
Where did the German Friedman family come from? What is the German Friedman family crest and coat of arms? When did the Friedman family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Friedman family history?The Friedman surname evolved from the popular German personal name Friederich.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Freedman, Friedman, Freidman, Fried, Friedemann, Friedland, Fridman, Friedhof and many more.
First found in East Prussia and Silesia. It later became more prominent as numerous branches of the same house acquired distant estates, some of which were located in other countries. Through the acquisition of these estates as well as their important contributions to society, the family successfully elevated their social status.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Friedman research. Another 232 words(17 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Friedman History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Friedman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Friedman Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Andrias Friedman, who settled in New York in 1831
- Adelheid Friedman, who came to Baltimore in 1834
- Frederick Friedman, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1840
- Paulus Friedman, who arrived in New York in 1846
- John Friedman, who arrived in St Clair County, Illinois in 1847
Friedman Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- M Friedman, who landed in Arkansas in 1906
- Jerome Isaac Friedman (b. 1930), American physicist, co-winner of 1990 Nobel Prize in Physics for experimental evidence of quarks
- Milton Friedman (1912-2006), American economist and recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Richard "Kinky" Friedman (b. 1944), American country musician
- Herbert Friedman (1916-2000), American astrophysicist and co-winner of the 1986 Wolf Prize in Physics
- Thomas Lauren Friedman (b. 1953), American journalist who has won the Pulitzer Prize three times, twice for International Reporting (1983, 1988) and once for Commentary (2002)
- Jeffrey M. Friedman (b. 1954), American molecular geneticist awarded the Shaw Prize in 2009 and the Lasker Award in 2010
- Friedman Family Genealogical Record Booklet by Steven D. Friedman, Friedman-Seidman Family Cha.
- by Judy Graf Klein.
- Hildenbrand, A.M. Wappenfibel. Handbuch der Heraldik. Neustadt an der Aisch: 1970. Print.
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
The Friedman Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Friedman Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 March 2014 at 10:13.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is