100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
Where did the Portuguese Ferreira family come from? What is the Portuguese Ferreira family crest and coat of arms? When did the Ferreira family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Ferreira family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ferrara, Ferrera, Ferrari, Ferraro, Ferreri, Ferreria, Ferrer, Ferrera, Ferrero, Ferreira, Herrera, Ferrarius, Ferriere, Ferrieres, Ferrea, Ferrarese, Ferraresi, Farreras, Farrera, Farreres, Ferri, Fierro, Hiero, Fer, Ferretti, Ferrettini, Ferretto, Ferrettino, Ferrin, Ferrini, Ferrino, Ferrucci, Ferruzzi, Ferrulli, Ferrotti, Ferroli, Ferroni, Ferron, Ferrone and many more.
First found in Portugal, where the surname Ferreira was most likely used initially as an occupational name for a blacksmith. Such a heritage is demonstrated by the coat of arms of one branch of this family that features fourteen iron cauldrons and the crest of another branch that features an ostrich with a horseshoe in its beak.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ferreira research. Another 271 words(19 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ferreira History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 93 words(7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ferreira Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ferreira Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Antonio Ferreira, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1802
- Juan DeDios Ferreira, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1852
- Jose Ferreira, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1854
- R Ferreira, aged 23, arrived in New Orleans, La in 1854
- Joaquin Ferreira, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1860
Ferreira Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Adelina Ferreira, aged 44, who emigrated to the United States from St. Michael's, Portugal, in 1906
- Adelino N. Ferreira, aged 21, who emigrated to the United States from Frossos, Portugal, in 1907
- Agostinho Ferreira, aged 23, who settled in America from Porto Mor, Portugal, in 1911
- Abel Tavares Ferreira, aged 24, who settled in America from Gouvcia, Portugal, in 1911
- Alberto Ferreira, aged 21, who emigrated to the United States from Nasbainhos, Portugal, in 1911
- Sky Ferreira (b. 1992), American model, singer, songwriter, and actress
- Benign Ferreira, Paraguayan statesman
- António Ferreira (1528-1569), Portuguese poet
- Benigno Assuncion Ferreira (1846-1920), President of Paraguay
- Manuel Jesualdo Ferreira (b. 1946), Portuguese football manager
- Aluísio "Lula" Elias Ferreira Xavier (b. 1951), Brazilian basketball coach
- Peter M. Ferreira (b. 1970), Portuguese Concert Violinist
- Aluízio Ferreira (1897-1980), Brazilian politician
- Anne Ferreira (b. 1961), French politician
- Aurélio Buarque de Holanda Ferreira (1910-1989), Brazilian dictionarist and writer
- Guiseppi, Montague Spencer, edition. Naturalizations of Foreign Protestants in the American and West Indian Colonies. Mancester, England: The Huguenot Soceity of London, 1921. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Patronimica Española Y Sus Patronimicos Compuestos. Madrid: Hidalguía, 19676. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Chronological list of passengers to Spanish America (including Florida and Louisiana, 1538-1559). From documents in the "Indian Archives". Sevilla, Spain. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Ferreira Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ferreira Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 April 2014 at 22:22.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!