100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Where did the English Ellis family come from? What is the English Ellis family crest and coat of arms? When did the Ellis family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Ellis family history?The Ellis family name is linked to the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture of Britain. Their name comes from the baptismal name for the son of Ellis.
Until the dictionary, an invention of only the last few hundred years, the English language lacked any comprehensive system of spelling rules. Consequently, spelling variations in names are frequently found in early Anglo-Saxon and later Anglo-Norman documents. One person's name was often spelled several different ways over a lifetime. The recorded variations of Ellis include Ellis, Elliss, Ellys, Elis, Eliss, Elliason and many more.
First found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ellis research. Another 155 words(11 lines of text) covering the years 1460, 1474, 1693, 1598, 1665, 1676, 1609, 1680, 1654, 1640, 1653, 1625, 1673, 1634, 1716, 1703, 1650, 1731, 1282, 1721, 1806, 1861, 1939, 1774, 1832, 1820, 1826 and are included under the topic Early Ellis History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 219 words(16 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ellis Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Ellis family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 331 words(24 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Thousands of English families boarded ships sailing to the New World in the hope of escaping the unrest found in England at this time. Although the search for opportunity and freedom from persecution abroad took the lives of many because of the cramped conditions and unsanitary nature of the vessels, the opportunity perceived in the growing colonies of North America beckoned. Many of the settlers who survived the journey went on to make important contributions to the transplanted cultures of their adopted countries. The Ellis were among these contributors, for they have been located in early North American records:
Ellis Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- David Ellis, who arrived in Jamestown, Va in 1607
- David Ellis who settled in Virginia in 1608
- John Ellis, who landed in America in 1620
- Margrett Ellis, who arrived in Virginia in 1624-1625
- Arthur Ellis, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1630
Ellis Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Rowland Ellis, who landed in New Jersey in 1711
- Francis Ellis, who arrived in Virginia in 1714
- Everard Ellis, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1729
- Evered Ellis, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1739
- Margaret Ellis, who arrived in Maryland in 1740
Ellis Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Hugh Ellis, who arrived in America in 1804
- Alexr Ellis, aged 36, landed in New York, NY in 1804
- Alex Ellis, who arrived in America in 1804
- Margt Ellis, who landed in America in 1804
- Richard Ellis, who arrived in America in 1810
Ellis Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Morris Ellis, who landed in Mississippi in 1902
- Michael Ellis, who arrived in Mississippi in 1903
- Harry George Ellis, who arrived in Alabama in 1921
- Joseph Ellis (b. 1943), Pulitzer Prize winning author and a professor at Mt. Holyoke
- Bret Easton Ellis (b. 1964), American author
- Sergeant Michael B. Ellis (1894-1937), United States Army soldier awarded the Medal of Honor
- Herb Ellis (1921-2010), American jazz guitarist
- David Richard Ellis (1952-2013), American film director and stuntman
- Allan Ellis (1951-2013), American former NFL cornerback for the Chicago Bears and the San Diego Chargers
- Sir Henry Ellis (1777-1869), English librarian and antiquary
- Henry Havelock Ellis (1859-1939), English physician
- Ralph Gordon Ellis (1885-1963), English painter
- William Webb Ellis (1805-1872), English sportsman
- Descendants of Charles Jones of New Brunswick from 1776 and Ellis Descendants from 1739 by Geneva Jones Emberley.
- The Ellis Line from Surry-Sussex in Virginia by Dixie L. MaCrary.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
The Ellis Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ellis Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 November 2013 at 02:11.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!