BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Ellis family come from? What is the English Ellis family crest and coat of arms? When did the Ellis family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Ellis family history?The Ellis family name is linked to the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture of Britain. Their name comes from the baptismal name for the son of Ellis.
Until the dictionary, an invention of only the last few hundred years, the English language lacked any comprehensive system of spelling rules. Consequently, spelling variations in names are frequently found in early Anglo-Saxon and later Anglo-Norman documents. One person's name was often spelled several different ways over a lifetime. The recorded variations of Ellis include Ellis, Elliss, Ellys, Elis, Eliss, Elliason and many more.
First found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ellis research. Another 155 words(11 lines of text) covering the years 1460, 1474, 1693, 1598, 1665, 1676, 1609, 1680, 1654, 1640, 1653, 1625, 1673, 1634, 1716, 1703, 1651, 1734, 1650, 1731, 1282, 1721, 1806, 1861, 1939, 1774, 1832, 1820, 1826 and are included under the topic Early Ellis History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 249 words(18 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ellis Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Ellis family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 331 words(24 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Thousands of English families boarded ships sailing to the New World in the hope of escaping the unrest found in England at this time. Although the search for opportunity and freedom from persecution abroad took the lives of many because of the cramped conditions and unsanitary nature of the vessels, the opportunity perceived in the growing colonies of North America beckoned. Many of the settlers who survived the journey went on to make important contributions to the transplanted cultures of their adopted countries. The Ellis were among these contributors, for they have been located in early North American records:
Ellis Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- David Ellis, who arrived in Jamestown, Va in 1607
- David Ellis who settled in Virginia in 1608
- John Ellis, who landed in America in 1620
- Margrett Ellis, who arrived in Virginia in 1624-1625
- Arthur Ellis, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1630
Ellis Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Rowland Ellis, who landed in New Jersey in 1711
- Francis Ellis, who arrived in Virginia in 1714
- Everard Ellis, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1729
- Evered Ellis, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1739
- Margaret Ellis, who arrived in Maryland in 1740
Ellis Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Hugh Ellis, who arrived in America in 1804
- Alexr Ellis, aged 36, landed in New York, NY in 1804
- Alex Ellis, who arrived in America in 1804
- Margt Ellis, who landed in America in 1804
- Richard Ellis, who arrived in America in 1810
Ellis Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Morris Ellis, who landed in Mississippi in 1902
- Michael Ellis, who arrived in Mississippi in 1903
- Harry George Ellis, who arrived in Alabama in 1921
- Joseph Ellis (b. 1943), Pulitzer Prize winning author and a professor at Mt. Holyoke
- Bret Easton Ellis (b. 1964), American author
- Sergeant Michael B. Ellis (1894-1937), United States Army soldier awarded the Medal of Honor
- Herb Ellis (1921-2010), American jazz guitarist
- David Richard Ellis (1952-2013), American film director and stuntman
- Allan Ellis (1951-2013), American former NFL cornerback for the Chicago Bears and the San Diego Chargers
- Sir Henry Ellis (1777-1869), English librarian and antiquary
- Henry Havelock Ellis (1859-1939), English physician
- Ralph Gordon Ellis (1885-1963), English painter
- William Webb Ellis (1805-1872), English sportsman
- Descendants of Charles Jones of New Brunswick from 1776 and Ellis Descendants from 1739 by Geneva Jones Emberley.
- The Ellis Line from Surry-Sussex in Virginia by Dixie L. MaCrary.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
The Ellis Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ellis Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 September 2014 at 08:34.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is