100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: Irish, Scottish
Where did the Irish Elliot family come from? What is the Irish Elliot family crest and coat of arms? When did the Elliot family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Elliot family history?The Pictish clans of ancient Scotland were the first people to use the name Elliot. It comes from living in Liddesdale and Teviotdale where the family has a long and distinguished history dating back to the early Middle Ages. The name is actually derived from the Old English personal name Elwald or Aelfwald, but this name is now all but extinct as a personal name.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Elliott, Elliot, Eliot, Eliott, Ellegett, Ellegot, Ellecot, Ellacott, Ellacot, Ellgate, Ellett, Ellit and many more.
First found in Liddesdale, and Teviotdale where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Elliot research. Another 260 words(19 lines of text) covering the years 1396, 1499, 1546, and 1898 are included under the topic Early Elliot History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Elliot Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Elliot family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 85 words(6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Elliot Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Lewis Elliot, who arrived in Virginia in 1619
- Elizabeth Elliot, aged 8, arrived in America in 1635
- Phelip Elliot, aged 2, arrived in America in 1635
- William Elliot, who landed in Maryland in 1640
- Rich Elliot, who arrived in Virginia in 1663
Elliot Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- George Elliot, who arrived in Georgia in 1742
- John Elliot, who landed in America in 1760-1763
- James Elliot, aged 35, arrived in Savanna(h), Georgia in 1774
Elliot Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- David Elliot, who landed in New York in 1801
- Adam Elliot, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1808
- Samuel Elliot, who landed in America in 1809
- Moses Elliot, aged 30, arrived in New York in 1812
- Walter Elliot, who arrived in Charleston, South Carolina in 1813
- Cass Elliot (1941-1974), American singer, best remembered as Mama Cass of the pop quartet The Mamas & the Papas
- Daniel Giraud Elliot (1835-1915), American zoologist
- Win Elliot (1915-1998), American television and radio sportscaster and game show host
- John Elliot (1914-1972), American songwriter
- Biff Elliot (b. 1923), American actor
- James Ludlow Elliot (1943-2011), American astronomer and scientist
- Andrew Elliot (1728-1797), American Acting Colonial Governor of the Province of New York in 1783
- Alonzo Elliot (1891-1964), American composer and songwriter
- Peter Elliot (b. 1966), American writer, editor and media personality
- Lawrence Lee Elliot (b. 1938), American outfielder in Major League Baseball
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- Donovan, George Francis. The Pre-Revolutionary Irish in Massachusetts 1620-1775. Menasha, WI: Geroge Banta Publsihing Co., 1932. Print.
- Land Owners in Ireland. Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1203-3).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
The Elliot Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Elliot Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 March 2014 at 10:13.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!