BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Spanish Diaz family come from? What is the Spanish Diaz family crest and coat of arms? When did the Diaz family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Diaz family history?The distinguished surname Diaz comes from Spain, a country rich in culture and history. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in Spain were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Spanish patronymic names emerged as early as the mid-9th century and the most common patronymic suffix is "ez."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Díaz, Diaz, Didaz, Díez, Diez, Diz, Diago and others.
First found in Castile, where the name originated in Visigothic times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Diaz research. Another 442 words(32 lines of text) covering the years 1056 and 1233 are included under the topic Early Diaz History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 85 words(6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Diaz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Bernal Díaz del Castillo traveled to Cuba, then accompanied Hernán Cortés to Mexico
- Luis Díaz, who emigrated to Cuba in 1561
- Catalina Díaz, to Nicaragua in 1563
- Alonso Díaz, to Florida in 1563
- Bartolomé Díaz, to Peru in 1563
Diaz Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Andres Diaz, who arrived in Spanish Main in 1768
Diaz Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Maria DelRosario Diaz, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1802
- Jose Diaz, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Felix Diaz, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Rosa Diaz, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1804
- Alonso Diaz, who arrived in America in 1811
- Alyssa Diaz (b. 1987), American actress
- Cameron Michelle Diaz (b. 1972), American four-time Golden Globe nominated, BAFTA nominated actress
- Alan Diaz, American reporter who won the 2001 Pulitzer Prize for Breaking News Photography
- Daniel Vázquez Díaz, Spanish artist
- Antonio Díaz Gil (1934-2014), known as Liz II, a Spanish professional footballer
- Mariano Diaz Diaz (b. 1939), Spanish professional road bicycle racer in the 1960s; he won a stage of the 1967 Vuelta a España
- Eduardo Acevedo Díaz, Uruguayan writer
- Rafaelo Díaz, operatic tenor
- Bo Díaz, professional baseball player
- Julio Lozano Díaz, Honduran politician
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Caballeros de La Orden de Santiago Siglo XVIII. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1996. Print.
- Chronological list of passengers to Spanish America (including Florida and Louisiana, 1538-1559). From documents in the "Indian Archives". Sevilla. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Armorial Général by J.B. Rietstap. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. 1967. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-209).
The Diaz Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Diaz Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 August 2014 at 15:05.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is