100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, Irish
Where did the Irish Devaney family come from? What is the Irish Devaney family crest and coat of arms? When did the Devaney family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Devaney family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: O'Devany, Devany, Devanney, Devanny, O'Duvany, O'Dovany, O'Deveney, O'Devenny and many more.
First found in Ulster and Connacht (Irish: Connachta, (land of the) descendants of Conn). From each of these regions comes a distinct Irish sept, although they have come to share the Anglicized name Devaney. The name is rather rare compared to many of the Irish surnames, but of interest today is the Devanney Site, an archaeological site in the southwestern part of the state of Ohio, which appears to have been occupied periodically for thousands of years. How the place was so named is unknown. However, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Devaney research. Another 347 words(25 lines of text) covering the years 1602, 1665, 1659, 1582 and 1612 are included under the topic Early Devaney History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 137 words(10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Devaney Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Devaney Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Owin Devaney, who was naturalized in Ogle county, Illinois in 1852
- John Devaney, who arrived at the port of New York in 1854
- John Devaney, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1856
- Thomas Devaney, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1879
- Robert S. "Bob" Devaney (1915-1997), American college football coach, inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame (1981)
- John P. Devaney (1883-1941), American Chief Justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court (1933-1937)
- Michael "Mike" Aloysius Devaney (1891-1967), American track and field athlete who competed at the 1920 and 1924 Summer Olympics
- Earl E. Devaney, Inspector General for the United States Department of the Interior
- Tom Devaney (1976-1960), infamous New York mobster and an enforcer for Mickey Spillane during the 1960s and 1970s
- Michael Devaney (b. 1984), Irish racing driver
- Francis Devaney (b. 1984), Irish hurler
- Liam Devaney (b. 1935), Irish hurling champion from Borrisoleigh, County Tipperary
- Miss Margaret Delia Devaney, aged 19, Irish Third Class passenger from Kilmacowen, Sligo who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and survived the sinking in collapsible C
- Charlotte Devaney (b. 1979), British model, actress, presenter, DJ and dancer
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- MacLysaght, Edward. The Surnames of Ireland 3rd Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1978. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2278-0).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Donovan, George Francis. The Pre-Revolutionary Irish in Massachusetts 1620-1775. Menasha, WI: Geroge Banta Publsihing Co., 1932. Print.
- Land Owners in Ireland. Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1203-3).
The Devaney Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Devaney Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 24 September 2014 at 11:47.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!