100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, Scottish, Welsh
Where did the English Davidson family come from? What is the English Davidson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Davidson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Davidson family history?The Davidson surname is a patronymic created from the personal name David.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Davison, Davidson, Davisint, Davisyn, Debison, Dawysone, Dawyson, Davysone, Davyson, Davitson, Dawysown, Davisoun, Davisend, Davidsone, Davidson, Daveysone, Daveyson, Dauyson, Dawysume, Dauysum and many more.
First found in Perth, Scotland, where, in 1219, Johnannes filius Davidis, a merchant in Perth, is mentioned. Some accounts suggest that around 1000 AD the Catti (Chattan) Clan, from whom the Davidson Clan descends, broke into two distinct factions, the MacKintosh and the MacPherson clans. The Davidson Clan was part of the MacPherson element, but always considered itself to be the senior clan of the Chattan group. Records from the Ragman Rolls show Adami fiz Dauid of Forfarshire and Johan le fiz David of Berwickshire rendering homage to King Edward I of England in 1296. Bearers of Davidson were found on both sides of the Scottish-English border. The first estates of the Clan Davidson were at Invernahaven, a small estate in Badenoch, where they were said to be found from the mid 14th century.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Davidson research. Another 535 words(38 lines of text) covering the years 1327, 1350, 1500, 1396, 1411, 1408, 1500, 1466, 1670 and 1411 are included under the topic Early Davidson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 35 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Davidson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Davidson family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 147 words(10 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Davidson Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Charles Davidson, who was sent to Virginia in 1666
- Elizabeth Davidson, who came to Maryland in 1667
- Elizabeth Davidson, who landed in Maryland in 1667
- Peter Davidson, who settled in Maryland in 1684
- Hen Davidson, who arrived in Virginia in 1698
Davidson Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- David Davidson, who landed in Virginia in 1703
- Alexander Davidson, who arrived in Maryland in 1710
- Alexander Davidson, who landed in Maryland in 1710-1711
- Owen Davidson, a prisoner sent to Yorktown, VA in 1716
- William Davidson, who came to Maryland in 1716
Davidson Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Eliza Davidson, who arrived in America in 1804-1805
- Jas Davidson, who arrived in America in 1804-1805
- Robt Davidson, who arrived in America in 1804-1805
- Wm Davidson, who arrived in America in 1806
- John Davidson, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1811
Davidson Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Louis Davidson, who landed in Mississippi in 1903
- Walter Septimus Davidson, who landed in Alabama in 1919
- Archibald Davidson, who arrived in Wisconsin in 1922
- Lieutenant General Phillip Buford Davidson Jr. (1915-1996), American officer who served in World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War
- Ernest R. Davidson (b. 1936), American Professor of Chemistry awarded the President's National Medal of Science in 2001
- Donald Herbert Davidson (1917-2003), American philosopher
- John Davidson Sr. (b. 1941), American singer, actor and game show host
- Bruce Davidson (b. 1949), American equestrian rider with 2 gold medals and two silver in the Olympics
- George Davidson (1825-1911), American (English born) geographer and astronomer
- Richard K Davidson (b. 1942), American businessman, Chairman and chief executive officer of Union Pacific Corporation
- Justin Davidson (b. 1966), American classical music and architecture critic awarded the 2002 Pulitzer Prize for Criticism
- Arthur Davidson (1881-1950), one of the four original founders of the Harley-Davidson Motor Company
- Lieutenant-General Garrison Holt Davidson (1904-1992), American Commanding General 1st Army (1962-1964)
- Davidson Family Research and Compilation 1972, Descendants of George and Margaret Dunne Davidson by Margaret Davidson.
- Davidson Genealogy by George G. Davidson.
- Davison-Davidson Family Research by Mildred F. Roberts.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
The Davidson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Davidson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 30 May 2014 at 20:35.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!