100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Italian Cuomo family come from? When did the Cuomo family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Cuomo family history?The surname Cuomo is thought to be a local name; that is, a surname derived from a place-name where the original bearer once resided or held land. Often Italian local surnames bore the prefix "di," which signified emigration from one place to another, but did not necessarily denote nobility. The Cuomo family most likely took on this surname from the city of Como, in Lombardy. The name Como is also thought to have been a shortened form of the name Giacomo, the Italian equivalent to James.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Como, Comi, Comello, Comelli, Comèl, Comellini, Comelini, Comellato, Comiti, Comitti, Comici, Cominazzo, Cuomo, Cometto, Cometti, Comino, Comini, Comotti, Comolli and many more.
First found in at Como, a city and comune in Lombardy, Italy, the administrative capital of the Province of Como. It was originally a Roman colony, was home to Bishop Saint Felix of Como (d. ca. 390 AD,) and later became an independent commune. The first of the name on record appears to be Elia Como of Padua province, who was the mayor of Castelbardo in 1489.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cuomo research. Another 71 words(5 lines of text) covering the years 1601, 1507, 1550, 1606 and 1750 are included under the topic Early Cuomo History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 167 words(12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Cuomo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Rocco Cuomo, age 31, who came to New York on Jan. 12, 1884, aboard the "Indipendente"
- Filomena Cuomo, age 30, who arrived in New York on June 11, 1886, aboard the "Indipendente"
Cuomo Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Adelaide Cuomo, aged 29, who landed in America from Napoli, in 1902
- Adolfo Cuomo, aged 14, who landed in America from Lettere, Napoli, in 1906
- Alfonso Cuomo, aged 19, who landed in America from Nocera Infre, Italy, in 1906
- Aniello Cuomo, aged 3, who emigrated to the United States from Lettere, Italy, in 1907
- Adelina Cuomo, aged 21, who settled in America from Agerola, Napoli, in 1907
- Mario Matthew Cuomo (b. 1932), American public official, Governor of New York (1983-1995)
- Andrew Mark Cuomo (b. 1957), American politician, 56th Governor of New York State, son of Mario Cuomo
- Christopher "Chris" Cuomo (b. 1970), American television journalist, ABC News co-anchor for 20/20, son of Mario Cuomo
- Rivers Cuomo (b. 1970), American musician
- Douglas J. Cuomo (b. 1958), American composer
- Gennaro "Jerry" Cuomo (b. 1962), American software engineer working for IBM since 1987, appointed the title of IBM Fellow who has filed for over 40 US patents
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani. Rome Istituto della Enciclopedia Italiana 56 volumesr. Print.
- Battilana, Natale, Ed. Genealogie Dello Famiglie Nobili di Genova. Genova: Fratelli Pagano, 1825. Print.
- Bongioanni, Angelo. Nomi e Cognomi. Saggio di Ricerche Etimologiche e Storiche. Torino: A. Forni, 1979. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Glazier, Ira A. and P. Williams Filby Edition. Italians to America. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Di Crollalanza, G.B. Dizionario Storico-Blasonico Delle Famiglie Nobili e Notabili Italiane 3 volumes. Pisa. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
This page was last modified on 8 May 2013 at 09:25.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!