100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Crouch family come from? What is the English Crouch family crest and coat of arms? When did the Crouch family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Crouch family history?Crouch is a name whose history is connected to the ancient Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The name is derived from when the Crouch family once lived near a crossroads. The name is derived from the Old English word crouch, and/or cruc.
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Crouch family name include Crouch, Crooch, Croucher, Croutch, Crowch, Crowcher, Crouche and many more.
First found in Somerset where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Crouch research. Another 227 words(16 lines of text) covering the years 1200, 1607, 1679, 1660 and 1679 are included under the topic Early Crouch History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 37 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Crouch Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland, Canada, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Early immigrants bearing the Crouch surname or a spelling variation of the name include:
Crouch Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Richard, Nicholas, Richard, and Thomas Crouch who settled in Virginia in 1623
- Thomas Crouch, who arrived in Jamestown, Va in 1624
- Wm Crouch, who arrived in Virginia in 1635
- Nicholas Crouch, who landed in Virginia in 1637
- George Crouch, who landed in Maryland in 1640
Crouch Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Henry Crouch settled in Maryland in 1760
Crouch Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Sarni Crouch, who landed in America in 1823
- Levi Crouch, who arrived in New York in 1842
- Dennis David Crouch (b. 1975), American patent attorney and associate professor at the University of Missouri School of Law in Columbia, Missouri
- Paul Crouch (b. 1934), founder of the largest Christian Television Network, Trinity Broadcasting Network
- Roger Keith Crouch (b. 1940), American scientist who flew as a payload specialist on two NASA Space Shuttle missions in 1997
- William Henry "Bill" Crouch (1886-1945), American Major League Baseball pitcher
- Wilmer Elmer "Bill" Crouch (1907-1980), American Major League Baseball pitcher
- Eric Eugene Crouch (b. 1978), American NFL quarterback
- Leonard Callender Crouch (1866-1953), American lawyer and politician
- Anna Maria Crouch (1763-1805), 18th Century actress in London and mistress of King George IV
- Frederick Nicholls Crouch (1808-1896), English composer and cellist
- Peter James Crouch (b. 1981), English footballer
- Family Ties of Broyles and Related Families (including the Crouch Family) by Mr. and Mrs. John A. Broyles.
- Saints and Black Sheep by Kenneth Crouch.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
The Crouch Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Crouch Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 April 2014 at 12:22.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!