100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Irish Conley family come from? What is the Irish Conley family crest and coat of arms? When did the Conley family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Conley family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Conley, Connolly, Connelly, Connell, Connall, Connally, Conelly, Conolly, Conlay, Conlaye, Conleigh and many more.
First found in County Offaly (Irish: Uíbh Fháilí) originally the Kingdom of Uí Failghe, located in central Ireland in the Province of Leinster, where they held a family seat from very ancient times. The line of the family name or sept Conley were descended through the name Connolly, Connelly, and Connell from McCarthy Mor (the Great), from Daologach, the King of Munster.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Conley research. Another 195 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1014 and 1641 are included under the topic Early Conley History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Conley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Conley Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Abraham Conley of Kittery in 1640, who took the oath of fidelity in 1652 and was Constable of the new colony from 1647 to 1650
- Isabel Conley settled in Maryland in 1697
Conley Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- George Conley, who landed in New York, NY in 1816
- John Conley, who arrived in Aranzazu or Copano, Tex in 1829
- Simon Conley, who arrived in Tippecanoe County, Ind in 1844
- William Conley, aged 30, arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1845
- Catharine Conley, who landed in New York in 1847
Conley Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Thomas Conley, who landed in Arkansas in 1904
- John Martin Conley, who arrived in Alabama in 1918
- Dalton Conley (b. 1969), American sociologist
- Darby Conley (b. 1970), American cartoonist
- Earl Thomas Conley (b. 1941), American country music singer and composer
- Eugene Conley (1908-1981), American opera singer
- Major General Edgar Thomas Conley (1874-1956), American Army officer who served as Adjutant General from 1935 to 1938
- Darlene Conley (1934-2007), American actress
- David “Pic” Conley (b. 1953), American bassist
- Joe Conley (1928-2013), American actor, best known for his role as the storekeeper Ike Godsey on The Waltons
- Lige Conley (1897-1937), American silent film actor
- Tim Conley (b. 1958), American PGA professional golfer
- The Conley Family: Descendants of Nicholas by Jean A. Curran.
- Conley-Connelly, Descendants of Thomas Connelly of Northern Lancaster and York Counties, Pennsylvania by Frances Wise Waite.
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Non Sibi
Motto Translation: Not for himself.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of Ireland. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1969. Print.
- Donovan, George Francis. The Pre-Revolutionary Irish in Massachusetts 1620-1775. Menasha, WI: Geroge Banta Publsihing Co., 1932. Print.
- MacLysaght, Edward. Irish Families Their Names, Arms and Origins 4th Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2364-7).
- Woulfe, Rev. Patrick. Irish Names and Surnames Collected and Edited with Explanatory and Historical Notes. Kansas City: Genealogical Foundation, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-940134-403).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
The Conley Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Conley Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 August 2014 at 12:13.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!