100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, Irish
Where did the Irish Collins family come from? What is the Irish Collins family crest and coat of arms? When did the Collins family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Collins family history?Although Collins is a common English name, Collins is also an indigenous Irish name, derived from the Irish Gaelic "O'Coileain."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Collins, Colins, O'Cullane, Cullane and others.
First found in North Desmond, later part of County Limerick, where they were lords of the baronies of Connello and lords of Eighter Conghalach (Lower Connello). By the 13th century, they had moved south and settled in West Cork, having been driven out of their original territories by the Geraldines.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Collins research. Another 165 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1553, 1602, 1754, and 1817 are included under the topic Early Collins History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 34 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Collins Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Collins Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Susan Collins, who arrived in Virginia in 1613
- Peeler Collins, who landed in Virginia in 1621
- Josias Collins, who landed in Virginia in 1622
- Petter Collins, who arrived in Virginia in 1623
- Walter Collins, who arrived in Virginia in 1635
Collins Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Edwd Collins, who landed in Virginia in 1703
- Diana Collins, who arrived in Virginia in 1704
- Sara Collins, who arrived in Virginia in 1704
- Mattw Collins, who landed in Virginia in 1714
- Thos Collins, who arrived in Virginia in 1716
Collins Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Isaac Collins, aged 30, arrived in New York, NY in 1803
- Wm Collins, who arrived in America in 1805
- Margt Collins, who arrived in New York, NY in 1812
- Patrick Collins, who landed in America in 1812
- Bartholomew Collins, aged 44, landed in New York in 1812
- Colonel Eileen Marie Collins (b. 1956), US air force officer and astronaut, 1st female space shuttle pilot (1995) and commander (1999)
- James Joseph Collins (1870-1943), American Hall of Fame, Major League baseball player
- Susan M Collins (b. 1952), American politician, US Senator from Maine
- Cathleen Collins (b. 1956), original name of Bo Derek, American film actress and model
- Francis S. Collins (b. 1950), American physician-geneticist noted for his landmark discoveries of disease genes
- Michael Collins (b. 1930), American (Italian born) astronaut who flew on Apollo 11 and Gemini 10 and recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Major-General Harry John Collins (1895-1963), American Commanding General 31st Division (1952-1954)
- General James Francis Collins (1905-1989), American Commander in Chief US Army Pacific (1961-1964)
- Major-General James Lawton Collins (1882-1963), American Commanding General 5th Service Command (1943-1946)
- General Joseph Lawton Collins (1896-1987), American US Representative NATO Military Committee (1953-1955)
- Collins Ancestry by Mabel Thacher Rosemary Washburn.
- The Collins and Travis Families and Their Allies by Mary Collins Landin.
- Donovan, George Francis. The Pre-Revolutionary Irish in Massachusetts 1620-1775. Menasha, WI: Geroge Banta Publsihing Co., 1932. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of Ireland. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1969. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- Sullivan, Sir Edward. The Book of Kells 3rd Edition. New York: Crescent Books, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-517-61987-3).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- O'Hart, John. Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
The Collins Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Collins Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 February 2014 at 10:37.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!