100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: Dutch, English
Where did the Dutch Burch family come from? What is the Dutch Burch family crest and coat of arms? When did the Burch family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Burch family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Burch, Burche, Burches, Burchs, Burchh, Burcch, Burrch, Burrche, Burrchs, Burrches, van Burch and many more.
First found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in North Holland, a province of the Netherlands. The principal cities are Amsterdam, Haarlem and Hilversum. It was the seat of the old Counts of Holland. Seat of one of the oldest families is Brederode Castle near Haarlem. There are many old and quaint towns in the province. including Medemblik, Enkhuizen, Hoorn, Edam, and Monnikendam. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Burch research. Another 270 words(19 lines of text) covering the year 1816 is included under the topic Early Burch History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Burch Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Burch Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Willm Burch, aged 19, arrived in Virginia in 1635
- Jon Burch, who landed in Virginia in 1637
- Thomas Burch, who arrived in Maryland in 1665
- William Burch, who landed in Maryland in 1674
Burch Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Richard Burch, who landed in Virginia in 1716
- Carl Lud Burch, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1794
- Washington Burch, who arrived in Mississippi in 1799
Burch Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Gustavus Burch, aged 24, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1804
- James Burch, aged 20, arrived in Key West, Fla in 1846
- M S Burch, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Matthew Burch, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1872
- William Burch (1900-1950), American professional ice hockey forward
- Robert L Burch Jr., American politician
- Edward Burch (b. 1968), American musician and journalist
- Benjamin Franklin Burch (1825-1893), American farmer, soldier, and politician in what would become Oregon
- Harry "Billy" Wilfred Burch (1900-1950), American professional ice hockey forward, inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1974
- Claire Burch (1925-2009), American author, filmmaker and poet
- George Edward Burch (1910-1986), American cardiologist
- John Bayard Burch (b. 1929), American zoologist
- John Chilton Burch (1826-1885), American politician, California Democratic politician and United States Congressman,Secretary of the United States Senate (1879 to 1881)
- Laurel Burch (1945-2007), American artist, designer and businesswoman
- History of the Burch Family of Kentucky by Frank Eugene Toon.
- Record of the Ancestors and Descendants of Nathan Burch (1781-1858) and Damaris Babcock (1783-1869) of Brookfield, Madison County, New York by Harold John Witter.
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Tapper, Michael Ed. Immigrants to the Middle Colonies A Consolidation of Ship Passenger Lists and Associated Data from The New York Genealogical Biographical Record. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
The Burch Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Burch Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 August 2014 at 10:35.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!