BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: Dutch, English, French, German
Where did the German Bode family come from? What is the German Bode family crest and coat of arms? When did the Bode family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Bode family history?The Bode surname is derived from German word "boden," which means "floor" or "bottom." It is thought that the first Bode family may have lived in the bottom of a valley.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Bode, Boden, Boder, Bohde, Bohden, Boede, Boedde and many more.
First found in the duchy of Brunswick, where the name emerged in mediaeval times as one of the notable families of the region. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bode research. Another 295 words(21 lines of text) covering the years 1707, 1713, 1720, 1740, 1747, 1793, and 1832 are included under the topic Early Bode History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 62 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bode Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Bode Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Laurens Bode, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1766
- Lorentz Bode, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1766
- Martin Bode, who arrived in America in 1778
- Friedrich Bode, who arrived in America in 1780
- Heinrich Bode, who landed in America in 1780
Bode Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Hinrich Bode, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1803
- Johann H Bode, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1804
- Just Bode, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1804
- Herman Bode, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1804
- Just, Elisabeth, Christian and Catharina Bode, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1804
- Hendrik Wade Bode (1905-1982), American (Dutch descent) electrical engineer and academic
- Ralf D Bode (1941-2001), German-born, American cinematographer
- Boyd Henry Bode (1873-1953), American educator, professor of education at Ohio State University
- Wolfram Bode (b. 1942), German biochemist
- Johann Elert Bode (1747-1826), German astronomer
- Elert Bode (b. 1934), Breslau-born, German television actor
- Johnny Bode (1912-1983), Swedish singer and composer
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
The Bode Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bode Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 November 2013 at 00:54.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is