BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: Dutch, English, Scottish
Where did the Scottish Bennett family come from? What is the Scottish Bennett family crest and coat of arms? When did the Bennett family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Bennett family history?The chronicles of the Bennett family indicate that the name was first used by the Strathclyde Britons of the Scottish/English Borderlands. Bennett is derived from the ancient Latin given name Benedictus, which means blessed.
The many spelling variations in Medieval Scottish names result from the fact that scribes in that era spelled words according to sound. Translation too, was an undeveloped science, and many names were altered into complete obscurity. Over the years Bennett has been spelled Bennett, Bennet, Benett, Benet and others.
First found in Lancashire (located in northwest England and dates back to 1180), where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bennett research. Another 206 words(15 lines of text) covering the years 1066, 1200, 1300, 1594, 1603, 1652, 1743, 1793, 1795, 1797, 1822, 1836, 1872, 1883, and 1899 are included under the topic Early Bennett History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 81 words(6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bennett Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Bennett family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 330 words(24 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
To escape the uncertainties and discrimination faced in Scotland, many decided to head out for North America. Once they arrived, many Scots fought with relish in the American War of Independence; some went north to Canada as United Empire Loyalists. Many ancestors of these Scots have recovered their lost national heritage in the 20th century through Clan organizations and Scottish historical societies. Among the settlers to North America were:
- David Bennett of Rowley, Massachusetts a Physician
Bennett Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Joane Bennett, who arrived in Virginia in 1622
- Samiell Bennett, who arrived in Virginia in 1622
- Satnwell Bennett, who arrived in Virginia in 1623
- Robt Bennett, who arrived in Virginia in 1623
- Rich Bennett, who landed in Virginia in 1635
Bennett Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Nicho Bennett, who landed in Virginia in 1700
- Anne Bennett, who arrived in Virginia in 1702
- Writ Bennett, who arrived in Virginia in 1704
- Peter Bennett, who arrived in Virginia in 1704
- Thos Bennett, who arrived in Virginia in 1717
Bennett Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Z Bennett, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1811
- Uzziel Bennett, who landed in America in 1811
- Reuben Bennett, aged 34, arrived in New York in 1812
- Obadiah Bennett, aged 25, arrived in Maine in 1812
- Philip, Bennett Jr., who landed in New York, NY in 1831
Bennett Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Max Bennett, who landed in Arkansas in 1900
- Mary Ann Bennett, who landed in Arkansas in 1905
- Robert Frederick Bennett (1927-2000), American Republican politician and governor of Kansas from 1975-1979
- Bruce Bennett (1906-2007), born Herman Brix, American actor
- William Tapley Bennett (1917-1994), American Diplomat, Ambassador to the Dominican Republic
- Brooke Marie Bennett (b. 1980), American swimmer and triple Olympic champion
- Floyd Bennett (1890-1928), American aviator
- Michael Bennett (1943-1987), American dancer
- Corporal Edward A Bennett (1920-1983), United States Army soldier awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1945
- Clay Bennett (b. 1958), American editorial cartoonist awarded the 2002 Pulitzer Prize for Editorial Cartooning
- Tony Bennett (b. 1926), American singer of popular music, standards, show tunes, and jazz born Anthony Dominick Benedetto
- Max Bennett (b. 1928), American jazz bassist and session musician
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Browne, James. The History of Scotland it's Highlands, Regiments and Clans 8 Volumes. Edinburgh: Francis A Niccolls & Co, 1909. Print.
- Prebble, John. The Highland Clearances. London: Secker & Warburg, 1963. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
The Bennett Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bennett Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 September 2014 at 11:26.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is