BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Barnett family come from? When did the Barnett family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Barnett family history?The ancestors of the Barnett surname lived among the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture. The name comes from when they lived on or near land cleared for cultivation by burning off the forest.
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Barnett include Barnett, Barnette, Barnet and others.
First found in Lancashire, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Barnett research. Another 237 words(17 lines of text) covering the year 1400 is included under the topic Early Barnett History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Barnett Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Barnett family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 160 words(11 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Barnett Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- John Barnett who settled in Virginia in 1620
- John Barnett, who landed in America in 1624
- Jo Barnett, aged 20, arrived in Barbados in 1635
- Nich Barnett, who landed in Virginia in 1635
- Rich Barnett, who landed in Virginia in 1635
Barnett Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Sara Barnett, who landed in Virginia in 1705
- Francis Barnett, who arrived in Virginia in 1712
- Wm Barnett, who landed in America in 1736
Barnett Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Margaret Barnett, aged 34, landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1803
- Jane Barnett, aged 12, arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1803
- Andrew Barnett, aged 24, landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1803
- Annabelle Barnett, aged 20, landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1803
- Annabella Barnett, aged 20, arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1803
- Major-General Allison Joseph Barnett (1892-1971), American Commanding General 94th Division, North-West Europe (1945-1946)
- Brigadier-General James Washington Barnett (1892-1983), American Commanding General US Army Forces New Caledonia (1945)
- Sir Denis Barnett (1906-1993), English RAF Air Chief-Marshal
- Samuel Augustus Barnett (1844-1913), English religious leader and activist
- Charlie Barnett (1910-1993), English cricketer
- Correlli Barnett (b. 1927), English military historian
- Joel Barnett (b. 1923), Baron Barnett, English politician
- Dr. Henry Joseph Macaulay Barnett (b. 1922), Canadian physician, stroke researcher and pioneer
- Guy Barnett (b. 1962), Australian politician
- Nicolas Guy Barnett (1928-1986), British Labour Party politician
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
This page was last modified on 30 April 2014 at 13:10.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is