BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Spanish Barbosa family come from? When did the Barbosa family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Barbosa family history?Noble surnames, such as Barbosa, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the Spanish people. The original bearer of the name Barbosa, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain. In Spain, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. Many Spanish local names reflect Arabic words or place-names because Spain was conquered by the Muslim Moors from the 8th to 12th centuries. The Barbosa family lived in the region of Barbarius, in the province of Tarragona.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Barba, Barbo, Barbado, Barbada, de Barbada, Barbachano, Barbadillo, Barbón, Barbon, Barbosa, Barboso, Barbero, Barbera, Barberán, Barberan, Barbería, Barberia, Barbasán and many more.
First found in Castile, prominent among the medieval Christian kingdoms of Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Barbosa research. Another 406 words(29 lines of text) covering the years 1127, 1394, 1529, 1539, 1590, and 1650 are included under the topic Early Barbosa History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 80 words(6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Barbosa Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Barbosa Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Alonso Barbosa, who arrived in America in 1812
- Francisco Barbosa, aged 49, landed in New Orleans, La in 1829
Barbosa Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Agostinha Carria Barbosa, aged 24, who emigrated to the United States, in 1902
- Antonio Barbosa, aged 13, who emigrated to the United States from St. Michael's, in 1902
- Andres Barbosa, aged 31, who settled in America, in 1918
- Antonio G. Barbosa, aged 34, who settled in America, in 1920
- Aristides Barbosa, aged 27, who landed in America, in 1923
- César Barbosa (b. 1954), Colombian biologist, ornithologist and botanist
- José Luíz Barbosa (b. 1961), Brazilian two-time gold medalist runner
- Leandro Mateus Barbosa (b. 1982), Brazilian NBA professional basketball player
- Moacyr Barbosa (1921-2000), Brazilian football goalkeeper
- Euclydes Barbosa (1909-1988), Brazilian football defender
- Jorge Vera-Cruz Barbosa (1902-1971), Cape Verdean poet and writer
- Everaldo Vergne de Assis Barbosa (b. 1975), Brazilian football midfielder
- Cédric Barbosa (b. 1976), French professional football player
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Maduell, Charles R. Compiler Index of Spanish Citizens Entering the Port of New Orleans Between January 1840 and December 1865. New Orleans: The Compiler, 1966. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Caballeros de La Orden de Santiago Siglo XVIII. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1996. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Armorial Général by J.B. Rietstap. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. 1967. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-209).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
This page was last modified on 10 February 2013 at 10:59.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is